v1 plug-ins in JIRA 6.x versions

Prameesha Samarakoon January 6, 2014

Hi,

Is it okay to have v1 plug-ins in JIRA 6.x or is it best practice to have all v2 plug-ins? Also is a v1 plug-in considered as not recommended because it adds jars to WEB-INF/libs which contains all other JIRA system jars?

Is there a security concern or will atlassian support provided be lessened due to having v1 plug-ins?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2014

It is okay to have v1 plugins although v2 is recommended because it makes the upgrades easier. Atlassian support won't be limited just because you have a v1 plugin.

For the sheduled task using scheduler-config.xml, you must do it as v1 plugin. But there is another approach to do scheduled tasks in JIRA using SAL. See https://developer.atlassian.com/display/DOCS/Plugin+Tutorial+-+Scheduling+Events+via+SAL. That will be a v2 plugin.

Prameesha Samarakoon January 7, 2014

Is it possible to use cron expressions to make the plug-in run at a given time/interval through SAL? Which approach(scheduler-config.xml or SAL) would be considered as recommended?

Thanks

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2014

I'd start with SAL though I have also written services that extend AbstractService directly. That's more fiddly to get right

Prameesha Samarakoon January 9, 2014

Can SAL be used with cron expressions for scheduling? The tutorial suggested above doesn't show how to use cron expressions with SAL. Could you please suggest some links if possible.

Thanks

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2014

Not sure why you don't want to upgrade to version 2. Too much work perhaps?

https://developer.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=851971

Prameesha Samarakoon January 7, 2014

Its because what I've written is a scheduled task, and I can't find a way to reference the jar file included in WEB-INF/lib from WEB-INF/classes/scheduler-config.xml if I put the jar file in any other folder, as in make it a version 2 plug-in and then the installed folder becomes different.

Is there any other way of doing this?

Thanks

Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2014

You could install the jar in your local maven repo and then reference it.

See http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-3rd-party-jars-local.html for more details.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events