pocketquery line chart question

Ming Ho August 13, 2014

my query results have some null values. i got an error about "All series on a given axis must be of the same data type". any idea how i can fix this? i tried setting interpolateNulls, it didn't seem to help.

12 answers

0 votes
Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2016

Hi Tim, this is really hard for me to reproduce. Is this sensitive data? Maybe you could provide a database backup so I can reproduce better.

0 votes
Tim Kerns May 4, 2016

Felix,

I'm using the version you are.  Here is what is looks like in table format.

image2016-5-4 12:18:50.png

When I do it as a line chart, I get the error.

image2016-5-4 12:20:17.png

Here is the SQL (using MS SQL 2012): 

image2016-5-4 12:27:33.png

0 votes
Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2016

Hi Tim,

This is really strange. It works perfectly for me. Maybe you can think about what's different for you. I'm using PocketQuery 2.1-m6. I'm using the sample MySQL "World" database ( as dump file).

This is my statement:

SELECT Name, LifeExpectancy
FROM Country
WHERE Continent = 'Oceania'

This is my template:

<script>
PocketQuery.chart('LineChart');
</script>

Now, most countries in Oceania have a number in the column LifeExpectancy. But some of them have NULL. For the ones with NULL, there is a gap in my chart:

screen-pq-line.png

Maybe you can find out what's wrong with this?

Regards, Felix (Scandio)

0 votes
Tim Kerns April 25, 2016

Felix:  No worries, but unfortunately, this did not appear to fix the problem.

0 votes
Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2016

Hi Tim! Sorry for the harsh delay, this was not intended. We're about to release 2.1. Can you try if this early release of PocketQuery 2.1 works for your use case? Thanks!

0 votes
Tim Kerns January 5, 2016

Thanks Felix. Looking forward to the next release!

0 votes
Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 4, 2016

Hi Tim! The issue is actually in PocketQuery: as soon as a value of a column for the line chart is not a number (in this case null is not a number), the type for the whole column will become string. In that case, Google Charts won't work with the input submitted by PocketQuery. I added this as a bug in PocketQuery and I will target it with the next release.

0 votes
Tim Kerns December 17, 2015

Felix, Thanks for the suggestion. I have a set of data like this: | Date | Low | Med | High | Overall | | 12/10 | 0.81 | 0.75 | 1.00 | 0.85 | | 12/11 | 1.00 | 1.00 | 1.00 | 1.00 | | 12/14 | 1.00 | NULL | NULL | 1.00 | | 12/15 | 1.00 | 1.00 | 1.00 | 1.00 | I'm looking to do a line graph so that the null values are simply omitted in the graph. Using a WHERE clause would eliminate a row with nulls altogether. I don't want NULL represented as zero (0) either as that would not be an accurate representation in the graph.

0 votes
Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2015

Have you tried to add a WHERE ... IS NOT NULL clause?

0 votes
Tim Kerns December 15, 2015

This appears to still be an issue. Is there a fix for this?

0 votes
Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2014

Hi! Is your issue still recent? If so, I'll have another look at it.

0 votes
Christian Koch August 13, 2014
Ming Ho August 15, 2014

thanks Christian. but my intend is not to plot anything if the value is null, rather than converting null to 0. sorry for not making myself clear.

Christian Koch August 15, 2014

I think it's the best to remove the record through the sql query.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events