multiple automation rules don't run

Phyllis Zhu September 9, 2016

I have two rule enabled and when both are enabled, one of them always doesn't run.

Rule 1: create an issue when conditions are met

Rule2: create subtasks on above newly created issue

Rule2 is not run at all when looking at the audit log.

If I manually create an issue (and both rules are enabled) then Rule2 will run and create the subtasks. 

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? 

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2016

Hi Phyllis,

I've now shipped the ability to allow a rule to be triggered by an action from another rule to production.  In the rule details there's a new checkbox to enable this:

rule-triggering.png

Would be awesome if you can try this out and let me know if works for you.

Cheers,
 Andreas

Phyllis Zhu September 12, 2016

Tried this out and works so far! smile

thanks!

laumain jerome January 22, 2018

HI

why the check box "Allow rule trigger" does not allow to choose the trigger rule?
this would make it possible to chain the planned rules, by putting only the 1st.
for example extractions of data on Excel
we could trigger based event, but this is not manageable with 20 or 30 extractions.

cheers,

Jérôme

Like Nathan Parmeter likes this
0 votes
sergio vasquez pincheira January 25, 2019

there is some way to execute first regali 1 then 2, 3 and 4 since I do not understand that simple check does not say much to me: / I do not understand it

0 votes
laumain jerome January 22, 2018

Hi,

why the check box "Allow rule trigger" does not allow to choose the trigger rule?
this would make it possible to chain the planned rules, by putting only the 1st.
for example extractions of data on Excel
we could trigger based event, but this is not manageable with 20 or 30 extractions.

Thanks for your reponse.

cheers,

jérôme

Ivo_de_Vries October 31, 2018

Yes I have the same question. I would like to do the following:

Rule 1: If situation X then assign Y, Else Trigger Rule 2

Rule 2: Do Z

I expect I can solve this with throwing events but rather have it trigger another rule directly.

Phyllis Zhu October 31, 2018

Hi Ivo

That sounds like the basic format of one rule -  

Trigger 

IF condition

- Action

IF Condition 

- Action

Just make sure the conditions are mutually exclusive.

If you need 2 rules, then the triggers must be different.

0 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2016

Hi Phyllis,

Currently this is not possible since it's a little dangerous - you can easily cause an infinite loop (where rule 1 triggers rule 2 and an action in rule 2 then triggers rule 1 again over and over).

I've raised https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-19 though - I should hopefully get to this today. I think we'll add a checkbox in the rule details to optionally allow this behaviour - it can be useful like in the case that you described.

Cheers,
  Andreas

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2016

Sorry Phyllis, the implementation for this is a little more complex than I thought. I should get this shipped to production by Monday though.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events