is blocked really a priority?

John Stanford February 4, 2013

What happens to the historic priority of an issue when you change a ticket to blocked -- does it become irrelevant/lost or are blocked and priority really orthogonal?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2013

The current priority is the thing that matters.

The historical priority is in the history, but doesn't affect the current position. Blocked is really just a label, it doesn't do much special (unless you code something to do so)

Thanks for clarifying where I can get the historic priority. I unfortunately conflated two concepts: "Is blocked really a state?" and "how to I get the historic priority".

0 votes

In GreenHopper 6.1.2 for both Kanban and Scrum issues, the concept of blocked appears to be implemented as a value for priority ("Blocker"). This seems like a mismatch since something that was high priority before being blocked is probably still high priority, but to convey the message that it is blocked, I've got to give up it's actual priority and use that field to convey the state that it is in. When it becomes unblocked, I apparently need to dig through the change history of the issue to recall the actual priority -- clunky.

A better approach (in my opinion) would be to add a state for Blocked and slide the issue into that state while maintaining it's actual priority.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2013

How is this related to GreenHopper?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events