can the plug-in show cycle time and underlying data?

sn August 8, 2017

hi,

JIRA Software 7.3 server.

we are looking to export underlying data for the control chart on kanban boards. i dont think there is an option to do this. i tried JQL but i was not succesful. we want to know the average cycle time it took for isssues to move from "X" status to "Y" status( which the control chart provides) but we want to see full details of the underlying issues. 

i stumbled up on https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/tracking-the-time-taken-for-each-workflow-transition-126910724... page which talks about diffrent plug-ins.

can "JIRA Charting" plugin help us with this( using their Average Time in Status chart)

i have spend a lot of time looking for this. please provide any inputs.

thanks !

2 answers

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 3, 2021

Hello @sn and @Gonchik Tsymzhitov ,

This is an old post but since you are still looking for an answer, let me help you.

The raw data required to calculate cycle time and similar metrics is already available in each issue's history. You can see it in the History tab of each issue's view screen. But Jira does not give it as a ready calculated data set.

You can use Control Chart of Kanban boards (available in Jira Software) to get reports on this but I see that you are already familiar with it and you know the limitations. 

You can try getting the raw data via REST API (or directly from DB since you're on Jira server) and doing your calculations, if you are comfortable with developing code. 

Other than that, you will need to use a marketplace app to get this report.

For a ready built solution that offers great flexibility and details, our team at OBSS built Time in Status app for this exact need. It is available for Jira Server, Cloud and Data Center.

Time in Status allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or assigned to each assignee as well as entry/exit dates for all statuses. You can also combine statuses into consolidated columns to see metrics like Ticket Age, Cycle Time or Lead Time. You can calculate averages and sums of those durations and counts grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see the total InProgress time per Epic, or average Cycle Time per issuetype). 

Cloud_StatusDuration_UserAverage.png  tisCloud_IssueView_Chart_StackedColumn.png  tisCloud_MainPage_Chart_Pie_ExcludeMarked.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well.

The app has Custom calendar support which means you can get your reports based on a 24/7 calendar or your custom business calendar. (This one is important because a 24/7 calendar in most cases shows misleading data. For example an issue created at 16:00 on Friday and was resolved at 09:00 on next Monday seems to stay open for 2,5 days but in terms of business hours, it is only a few hours. You can see this using Time in Status by OBSS.)

Finally, the app has History Trim feature. This feature allows you to report on a subsection of issue histories instead of the whole history. Very useful when you want to focus on changes made during sprint or project phase.

Using Time in Status you can:

• See how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee, user group and also see dates of status transitions.
  • Calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see average InProgress time per project and per issuetype.)
  • Export your data as XLS, XLSX or CSV.
  • Access data via REST API. (for integrations)
  • Visualize data with various chart types.
  • See Time in Status reports on Jira Dashboard gadgets (released for cloud, server&DC gadget coming soon)

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1211756

EmreT

0 votes
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2021

Still did not improve it :( 

if you have option to improve could you put a PR in bitbucket source code

https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/jira-charting-plugin

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events