Zephyr for jira tests without planned execution

Angelo Diego Crabolu December 12, 2013

Is there a jql function in Zephyr for jira to extract all the tests without a planned execution? I'm not talking about unexecuted tests.

I thought there was a function in the previous version but It seems it has desappeared now.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2013

Hi Angelo,

So it appears that there is not a way to search for test cases that have no executions assigned to them. Apologies for that. You can only search using ZQL in the Search Test Executions locaiton of Zephyr for JIRA. And you can only search based on an execution status including unexectued. However, you can do it using our plugin ZAPI.

What you can do is you can use JIRA to find all the issue types test. Then you can use ZAPI to find all the exections. Then you can cross reference them to filter out test cases that have not been assigned any execution.

You can acquire ZAPI at the Atlassian Marketplace:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.thed.zephyr.zapi

For more information on getting started using ZAPI:

http://developer.yourzephyr.com/zapi/index.php

Our Zephyr for JIRA REST API Library:

http://docs.getzephyr.apiary.io/

Kind Regards,

Emily

Angelo Diego Crabolu December 16, 2013

let me get this straight: to have back a functionality I had in the previous version I have to buy a plugin that will cost me $1,000

Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2013

Angelo,

Could you please help us understand exactly what functionality existed in a previous version that isn't there now?

I am unaware of this exact functionality and can best respond to your comments after I know exactly what it is.

Please include details such as the version of ZFJ and the actions you could take to get the specific data set of testcases without executions.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Angelo Diego Crabolu December 17, 2013

Hi Chris,

I'm talking about the jql function unexecutedTest available in JFJ < 2.x

best regards

Angelo

Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2013

Hi Angelo,

If you review our documentation, the value unexecutedTest isn't listed in the documentation of our ZQL. You can note the page wasn't edited since October and also you can see the single prior version of this page via Tools. Thus are two versions of this documentation, and neither mention unexecutedTest.

https://zephyrdocs.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ZTD/ZQL+Reference

Also note that we only control ZQL, not JQL. There are two different places where you can search in JIRA when you have Zephyr for JIRA. The JIRA search navigator has JQL. The Zephyr for JIRA Search Testcase Executions has ZQL.

The ZQL specifically populates data when a testcase is scheduled for execution. So thus it doesn't know about testcases of the issue type test in your JIRA database. I've confirmed with a developer that this hasn't been the case, so I don't think it is mechanically possible for ZQL to do such a query.

We added ZQL in 2.0 and we're now in 2.1, and thus our memory is fresh on this topic. I strongly suspect the unexectedTest value you speak of was a JQL value and maybe was related to a different JIRA Ad-On. I applogize for the confusion, but this is likely the source of your thought process.

Emily outlined a way to cross-reference all tests vs all scheduled tests earlier in this string and this is and has been the only way to perform this fucnction.

Kind Regards,

Chris

0 votes
Ann Gold June 8, 2018

Me, too.  I'm a bit disappointed in this Trial.  I expected more flexibility.

0 votes
Deleted user January 27, 2016

I'm facing the same issue. I would like to be able to search for tests not belonging to any test cycle - to make sure that all my tests are correctly planned. Is there a way to o that?

0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2013

Hi Angelo,

So the Zephyr for JIRA ZQL only can search for executions. If the test has not been assigned to a cycle and therefore has no execution status, the ZQL will not be able to pull it up.

I was able to craft a JQL query to find all the unexecuted test cases. Since JQL does a search on issue tyles, not execution statuses, this was able to work. I want to make a large note that I am not a JIRA professional. I was able to find a JQL query that works for me. If this does not work for you, you will want to reach out to Atlassian for further answers.

In the issue navigator I was able to do the following JQL and pull up all my tests that had no execution status assigned to them what-so-ever:

issuetype = Test AND "Execution Type" is EMPTY

Try this out for yourself, see if it pulls them up for you.

Kind Regards,

Emily

Angelo Diego Crabolu December 15, 2013

The result is field Execution type does not exist

Galkwadi Nagaprasad July 25, 2019

Yes, its says the field does not exists

0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2013

Hi Angelo,

In Zephyr for JIRA we now have ZQL which you can use in the "Search Test Executions" section of Zephyr for JIRA. In here you can search for all kinds of different stuff. Below are a few thinks that I think will help you out.

This shows you have to use the Search Test Executions location:

https://zephyrdocs.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ZTD/Search+Test+Executions

This link is our ZQL reference guide:

https://zephyrdocs.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ZTD/ZQL+Reference

It is important to note that you can not use JQL in this location nor can you use ZQL in the issue navigator. They need to be kept seperate for a successful search.

Kind Regards,

Emily

Angelo Diego Crabolu December 12, 2013

Hi Emily, if i'm not trying to find a test execution in a particular state, I'm trying to find tests without test executions

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events