Zephyr for Jira: Inserting a test step between existing test steps

Neil Billett November 26, 2013

Hi,

We've just started using Zephyr 2.1.0.1459 in Jira 6.1 and are finding it to be a cool product - really nice to have proper test management all under the Jira roof.

Just wondering if it was possible, when creating/editing tests, to 'insert' new test steps in between existing steps? I couldn't see a way to do it other than creating a new step at the bottom of the current list of steps and then moving it up with the drag functionality (which is OK but becomes a pain when your test starts to get quite big). A 'Move to top' and 'Move to bottom' option might also be useful for step manipulation.

many thanks,

Neil

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2013

Hi Neil,

You are completely accurate with what the tool is able to accomplish up to date. Your feedback has been sent to our product team for consideration.

Kind Regards

Chris

prashanth madhur March 27, 2019

Is this functionality available now??? is it possible to insert a step in between th existing steps in a test?

Anto Kiran Amirtha Raj October 28, 2019

It is working!!!

MARY BRENZEL May 6, 2020

If this is working, how do you do it?  I haven't found any way to do it other than to create the new step at the end and move it up to its proper spot in the list.

Ima Greens September 2, 2020

This can be completed by using the "Clone" test step feature.  It allows you to copy an existing test step, and define where it should go (whether to insert above the existing test step, below the existing, define a test step to insert it afterwards or append as the last step). 

To complete: 

• Click on the Clone test step icon ( icon under the actions column of the test details window and next to the test step you want to clone)
  • When the Clone Test Step & Insert window appears, select the option that best fits your need and click clone.

The selected test step will be cloned and placed where you defined.  You can then edit from there.

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Damien Damien February 10, 2015

Is there any progress on implementing this VERY BASIC functionality?

It has been annoying me no end as I am constantly dragging steps around and it is ridiculous.

Can we have an update or a link to an improvement request that can be tracked?

0 votes
Neil Billett November 27, 2013

Thanks Chris - much appreciated.

Jane Dong September 4, 2016

Hi Neil,

Has this feature available now? thanks!

Kind Regards,
Jane

Neil Billett September 4, 2016

Hi Jane,

I have no idea I'm afraid. Unfortunately we gave up with Zephyr a while back. It wasn't quite what we wanted in the end.

Thanks,

Neil

SS September 12, 2016

Hi Neil,

Currently we are in process of evaluating Zephyr for test management. From your post, I could see that you used Zephyr for quite some times and then gave up. Can you please help me understand the reasons as it would help us with our evaluation.

Also can you tell me which plugin you are currently using with JIRA.

Thanks,

SS

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events