Zephyr for JIRA - Work Logged and Assigning Tests/Cycles

Aaron Booth July 2, 2013

For all the Zephyr for JIRA users, we are looking into test case management software for our company and Zephyr is at the top of the list at the moment. The only issue our management have with the software is:

A) Cannot log time against each test case run (be it 1 minute or 1 hour of work). Our project/admin team need each of our testers to log work against each "test" that is run. What options do I have to get around this? At the moment we create a single JIRA point for testing 1 version and log all work into that at the end of each day but this is not really ideal.

B) Cannot assign a test cycle to users. When new software comes in and we create a new testing cycle (for whichever is required, Normal Test/Regression etc), there is no way to assign the cycle to a user. For example if we have 10 testers they cannot create a filter that shows all outstanding test cases to test (or test cycle). We would have to manually tell them "go and test this software with this cycle".

Thanks

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Raju KC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2013

A) Log time: This is the limitation of Zephyr. Already raised with Zephyr support.

B) Check right access. You should able to assign test to users ( in developer role).

1 vote
Remo Siegwart
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2015

While Zephyr removes the log work menu item for tests (in kind of a hacky way), it's actually still possible to log work by using JIRA's operations dialog box:

1. Visit the test case you want to log work on.
  2. Type . (period) to open the operations dialog box.
  3. Type "log" in the operations search field.
  4. Choose "Log Work" to log work on this test case.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Remo

Rich Cloutier December 22, 2016

This allowed me to log work against the test task. We no longer need a subtask under the story to log the QA time. Thanks Remo.

Anubhav Bansal February 21, 2019

This is not working for me any extra setting needed for this to work?

Hitesh.Jamb@apa.com.au October 22, 2019

Not working here too..using ZFJ cloud version 5.0.0

0 votes
Kunal Shenoy September 28, 2015

Hi Johnathan,

For our use case, I want to assign the test in JIRA to a user and have the test execution assignee, for a particular test cycle, inherit the assignee from the test.

This way I do not have to change assignees every time I create a new test cycle.

Is this possible?

0 votes
JohnathanZ September 25, 2015

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback. It's great to see so many people who want this feature! With that being said, Zephyr for JIRA 2.6 officially supports this. I strongly recommend everyone who is even remotely interested in this and is not using Zephyr for JIRA go check it out, now, and everyone is is already using our plugin and has wanted this, take a look at our updated documentation regarding test execution assignment. 

If you're curious as to what else might be new in Zephyr for JIRA 2.6, check out our full release notes

Please do not hesitate to get in contact with us if you have any additional questions or feedback. We love to hear it all! Our support staff can be reached at support.getzephyr.com at any time.

Thanks, all, for your continued patience while we made this highly sought-after feature a reality.

Johnathan Lyman
Senior Technical Support Lead
Zephyr 

@Aaron Booth @ck @Remo Siegwart

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 2, 2013

Hi Aaron,

CK is correct in both of these answers, but I also need to expand on the answer to number 2.

We didn't build an "assignment" function yet in Zephyr for JIRA, and there is a limitation to using the JIRA issue assignment. You can only assign a testcase to one user, though it may have multiple executions. Thus each execution of the testcase would be assigned to that same user.

Thank you for your feedback and it will be communicated to the product team.

Kind Regards,

Chris <-- Works at Zephyr.

Aaron Booth July 3, 2013

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response.

I know for our company, each test cycle is only done by 1 tester so having each test case assigned to them will be 100% ok. If I wanted another tester (or multiple) to test a specific issue, based on initial tests and watching the videos I would Ad Hoc it and assign to them or create a new test cycle for the extra testers and let them do that.

Thanks and look forward to using your product (if I can convince management about the log time issue is not major!)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events