Why is 2.9.2 a paid upgrade?

Ryan LeViseur September 17, 2018

In our manage add-ons section Jira, it is showing that Insight Discovery 2.9.2 is now available but is listed as a paid upgrade.

Why do we have to pay to upgrade to this new release? Especially since the change summary is only "Minor improvements"?

2 answers

2 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 17, 2018

Hi Ryan,

Over time the maintenance burden of some previously-free plugins may become too high for the publisher to continue maintaining. When this happens, the marketplace vendor usually makes an announcement and switches the plugin to paid (and the fee is usually not staggering - just enough to make sure they can continue to feed the developer updating it).

In the case of Insight Discovery, Riada determined that they needed to change the licensing model of the plugin to meet Atlassian's recently-announced Data Center compatibility requirements. You can read more about Riada's decision here.

If you already have a valid host-based license (Riada's old model) and need help getting a plugin update sorted with an Atlassian Marketplace license, contact Riada using their customer service portal to have them generate a Marketplace license for you. From what I understand, Insight Discovery was a paid-only plugin prior to their licensing change. If it's working for you now, you probably have a host-based license and may just need Riada to give you a hand switching over the license.

Cheers,
Daniel

1 vote
Sandra _Mindville_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2018

Hi Ryan.

To have access to product updates, you have to have a valid license. Could be that your company's license has expired?

Kind regards,
Sandra

Nope. License is still good.

What I did find is that they changed from host-based licenses external to marketplace to a user-based license through the marketplace.

However, they provide no means for customers to transition an existing host-based license to a user-based license. And leave existing customers with the options of: pay for a brand new, more expensive license; or go without any updates.

Sandra _Mindville_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2018

Hi Ryan.

Since you have a valid license, you should be able to click on Paid update, without actually paying. (see below)

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 16.02.29.png

By clicking on Paid update, Insight Discovery will be updated, and you should see a result screen like this afterwards

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 16.03.26.png

Right. And based on your screenshots, you just went from a licensed product to an unlicensed product. Which would be a step backward from what we currently have.

Sandra _Mindville_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2018

I was editing my answer, but I see I wasn't quick enough.

So even though it says it's unlicensed, it is licensed "the old way". If you navigate to Add-ons -> Manage add-ons -> Insight Discovery license details, you will see that the license is indeed valid:

Insight_Discovery_Configuration_-_Riada_Field_Operations_JIRA_Demo.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events