Why does Market place contain support links to answers for commercial plugins?

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2012
I just stumbled over this support/issue link https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugins/com.fca.jira.plugins.workflowToolbox.workflow-toolbox/version/14/support in market place.

This is absolutely inacceptable to me since we are not the official support for commercial plugins. If the plugin still were open source and the code were accessible for everyone i might shut both eyes. But we are not here to provide free support for a commercial plugin. Atlassian, please make sure this plugin is linked to a bug tracking system on market place

The issue tracker link for the plugin does not include project namr and issue type so someone might have problems entering a bug in the right project. This should be corrected. Still i feel not well with your mixing up of commercial support lines with aac ....

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2012

Hi Dieter,

Apologies for the impression that this left you with. We're incrementally re-designing the vendor support pages on plugins.atlassian.com. Our intention was not to make Answers the primary support mechanism for commercial plugins, but rather provide an additional avenue for customers to seek help.

As you noted, vendors can provide additional support details for their plugins, including issue trackers and forums. We will be making those more prominent on the page as we iterate on the design.

John

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2012
Hi John,

Thank's', this would be a real improvement for me. Please try to keep the answers community separated from commercial support lines as much as possible. I'd not be very happy to see answers become a kimd of single point of support entries

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 6, 2012
Hi John, Thanks, the page layout is much better now :)
4 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2012

Ah, that explains why there have been some new questions recently with odd tags.

I guess there are two sides to it. Personally I prefer people to ask questions about my plugins here, if they are general programming questions... I cannot keep up with the private requests, I've gone so far as to document that recently.

So if AAC is better advertised from PAC then that makes me happy.

For commercial plugins, I can see how that would annoy the people who spend their valuable time helping here. Perhaps if questions arising from that page could also be tagged "commercial", people who didn't want to see them could just filter them out.

It's a continuing trend though, atlassian's support website makes it easy to cross-post to here, and from various other places too. The problem is it doesn't say "first search AAC before you post", so we end up with poor and repeated questions, and support requests. But then we come back to the inadequate searching again...

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2012
For open source plugins it's absolutely ok as it is right now. Great OS plugins like yours are so helpful that for me it's a pleasure to give back as much as i can - in form of support. That's simply how open source works
0 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 16, 2012
Just checked some commercial plugins and all their support/isue links primarily suggest to ask answers.atlassian.com. Except the example here they also have links to a bug tracking system which is ok

Don't know how all you others feel but i'm not here to be the primary support contact for commercial plugins.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events