Why do I need the Bob Swift Software - HTML Plug-in if my Confluence HTML Macros plug-in is enabled?

Dan Moran October 10, 2012

I upgraded the user-installed plug-ins on my Confluence 3.5.7 system and noticed that on pages containing HTML code, there were messages saying that I needed to purchase a new license for the Bob Swift plug-in. But our Confluence HTML Macros plug-in is enabled, so from what I've read, we shouldn't even neded the Bob Swift plug-in, nor should we have both enabled. No one even seems to know where this Bob Swift plug-in came from.

Do you know why I would need it if the Confluence HTML Macros plug-in is enabled?

Thanks,

Dan

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jason Hensler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2012

Not sure if this will fix it but, I think you need to enable the confluence html macro, disable the bob swift - html macro, and then enable the "html migration macro" under the Confluence html-macro modules.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply. I saw another reference to the html migration macro, but that module is not listed under my Confluence HTML Macros. There are seven modules listed, and two - html and html-include - are disabled. I'll try enabled them after disabling the Bob Swift plugin and see what happens.

Jason Hensler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2012

Are you using confluence 3.x? My production confluence is 3.0.1 and for some reason we have noticed that when you enable the html plugin the html and html include macro don't enable on there own. Everytime we restart the server we have to go back in and manually re-enable those two macros. The html migration macro showed up in a newer version (4.x I think) due to the wiki markup getting converted to xhtml.

Hi Jason and Jamie,

Thanks!

Yes, we're using 3.5.7, and disabling the Bob Swift plug-in and then enabling the html and html-include modules seems to have cleared up everything.

Jamie, was enabling the html-include module a good idea? From the description, I don't see the harm in enabling it. The only users of our Confluence system - that is, the only people that can log in - are company employees. Only a couple of them - myself included - have admin privileges.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2012

The html-include macro is no less safe than the html macro, so if you have one, you may as well have both.

The point about the html and html-include macros are that mailicious uses can write javascript to steal cookies or trick admins into doing things they wouldn't want to, but if you trust your users, it's not a great concern.

0 votes
Dan Moran October 14, 2012

Something that Jason touched upon in his comment: we realized that the sequence in which plugins were disabled / enabled is very important. For example, our Compatibility Macros system plugin was disabled. Enabling it and then disabling it caused a problem. But then disabling and re-enabling the Adaptavist Content Formatting Macros plugin solved the problem.

0 votes
Dan Moran October 14, 2012

Thanks Jamie!

0 votes
RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2012

I guess Bob Swift html plugin has more functionality than the normal Confluence html plugin. However if you only require to include basic html plugin, confluence html plugin should be sufficient.

Thanks for repsponding, Rian. However, I'm afraid that I didn't clearly state the problem: Our pages with HTML code do not display properly without the "Bob Swift" plugin, even when our "Confluence HTML Macros" system plugin is enabled. We have a test system that has a "Confluence HTML Plugin" with the same plugin key as the "Bob Swift" plugin. If I disable the "Confluence HTML Plugin", pages with HTML code do not display correctly, even though the "Confluence HTML Macros" system plugin is enabled. So is this plugin, by whatever name it is called - "Bob Swift Sofwate - HTML Plugin" or "Confluence HTML Plugin" - required when the "Confluence HTML Macros" system plugin is enabled?

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2012

The html component of the plugin is disabled by default. So even though the plugin is enabled that module might not be. Expand the plugin, and enable the html module.

Nicolas Casel
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2016

Up for this topic.

I get the same situation as @Daniel Mora : I need to activate both Bob Swift HTML and (native) Confluence HTML plugins to get correct (HTML) rendition. If I deactivate only one of them, all HTML rendition is out.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events