Why am I getting NPE in com.adweb.estimations.Utilities.validateTimeTrackingByRole

Hi,

I'm getting the following NPE when calling IssueService.validateUpdate from a ScriptRunner custom post function in a project configured with ADWEB JIRA Ultimate Role Tracking & Estimation: 

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.adweb.estimations.Utilities.validateTimeTrackingByRole(Utilities.java:1773)
	at com.adweb.estimations.customFields.timeTrackingByRole.TimeTrackingByRoleCFType.validateFromParams(TimeTrackingByRoleCFType.java:421)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.validateParams(CustomFieldImpl.java:741)
	at com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService.validateAndPopulateParamsWithScreenCheck(DefaultIssueService.java:897)
	at com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService.validateAndPopulateParams(DefaultIssueService.java:858)
	at com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService.validateAndUpdateIssueFromFields(DefaultIssueService.java:660)
	at com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService.validateUpdate(DefaultIssueService.java:278)

My IssueInputParameters only contains a simple new Summary. It has RetainExistingValuesWhenParameterNotProvided set to true.

I'm running:

• Atlassian JIRA Project Management Software v7.1.1 
  • Adaptavist ScriptRunner for JIRA v4.3
  • ADWEB JIRA Role Based Estimations and Tracking v1.7

It works fine on projects that do not have ADWEB configured.

thanks.

stan.

1 answer

Hi Stan,

From the information provided by you, it seems that you are using an older version of the JIRA Ultimate Role Tracking & Estimation add-on. Just to make sure, we have tested our add-on with all the configuration provided by you, with the latest version of the add-on. I think, the latest version should not have this NPE.

Please take the latest update from here : https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.adweb.estimations.estimationUpdate/versions 

for your JIRA version, latest will be v1.8.3.

Please keep checking for the updates, as we are adding cool new features on a regular basis.

Let us know, if you have any other issues or queries.

Thanks,

Abhinav.

Hi Abhinav,

I'm still getting the error with v1.8.3, unfortunately.

• I created a new, simple project (BUG) using the "Basic software development" template.
  • ADWEB is NOT configured for this project.
  • I created one issue in that project, using all default values except for the Summary, which I set to "Summary"
  • I added a workflow transition that loops from TO DO -> TO DO and associated that transition with a post function script:
package com.onresolve.jira.groovy.test.scriptfields.scripts

import org.apache.log4j.Logger
import org.apache.log4j.Level
import groovy.transform.CompileStatic
import com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.IssueService
import com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.IssueService.IssueResult
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueInputParameters
import com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraAuthenticationContext
import com.atlassian.jira.user.ApplicationUser

@CompileStatic
private static void testBug(Issue issue, Logger log)
{
    log.debug 'Entered testBug'
    String issueKey = 'BUG-1'
    IssueService issueSvc = ComponentAccessor.getIssueService()
    IssueInputParameters issueInParams = issueSvc.newIssueInputParameters()
    ApplicationUser user = ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().getLoggedInUser()
    log.debug 'Initialization complete'

IssueService.IssueResult issueRslt = issueSvc.getIssue(user, issueKey)
    Issue theIssue = issueRslt.getIssue()
    log.debug issueKey + ' retrieved'
    issueInParams.setRetainExistingValuesWhenParameterNotProvided(true)
    issueInParams.setSkipScreenCheck(true)

log.debug 'IssueInputParameters configured'
    IssueService.UpdateValidationResult updateValidRslt = issueSvc.validateUpdate(user, theIssue.getId(), issueInParams)

log.debug 'validUpdate completed'
    if (!updateValidRslt.isValid())
        return

log.debug 'IIP validated'
    return
}

log.setLevel(Level.DEBUG)

testBug(this.issue, this.log)
return

When executing this code, I get this error in the log:

2016-10-02 23:46:42,483 DEBUG [workflow.ScriptWorkflowFunction]: Entered testBug
2016-10-02 23:46:42,484 DEBUG [workflow.ScriptWorkflowFunction]: Initialization complete
2016-10-02 23:46:42,484 DEBUG [workflow.ScriptWorkflowFunction]: BUG-1 retrieved
2016-10-02 23:46:42,485 DEBUG [workflow.ScriptWorkflowFunction]: IssueInputParameters configured
2016-10-02 23:46:42,525 DEBUG [osgi.ActiveObjectsServiceFactory]: getService bundle [com.adweb.estimations.estimationUpdate]
2016-10-02 23:46:42,550 ERROR [workflow.ScriptWorkflowFunction]: *************************************************************************************
2016-10-02 23:46:42,553 ERROR [workflow.ScriptWorkflowFunction]: Script function failed on issue: BUG-1, actionId: 71, file: <inline script>
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.adweb.estimations.customFields.logWorkByRole.LogWorkByRoleCFType.validateFromParams(LogWorkByRoleCFType.java:206)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.validateParams(CustomFieldImpl.java:741)
	at com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService.validateAndPopulateParamsWithoutScreenCheck(DefaultIssueService.java:947)
	at com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService.validateAndPopulateParams(DefaultIssueService.java:860)
	at com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService.validateAndUpdateIssueFromFields(DefaultIssueService.java:660)
	at com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService.validateUpdate(DefaultIssueService.java:278)
	at com.onresolve.jira.groovy.test.scriptfields.scripts.Script584.testBug(Script584.groovy:32)
	at com.onresolve.jira.groovy.test.scriptfields.scripts.Script584.run(Script584.groovy:44)

Additional observations:

• If I disable the ADWEB add on (across the entire JIRA instance), the error does not occur, even though ADWEB is not even setup for this project.
  • If I re-enable ADWEB, the error occurs.
  • If I do not call setSkipScreenCheck(true) in the script above, this error does not happen.

Let me know if I can provide any more information.

thanks.

stan.

Hi Abhinav, I just wanted to confirm that you saw my last reply with a reproducible test case for you.

thanks.

stan.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Oct 31, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

Marketplace Spotlight: Zephyr

Hello Atlassian Community! Each month, we run a series of Spotlights to highlight Marketplace vendors and apps that our team thinks this Community would find valuable. In last month's Spotlig...

302 views 0 1
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you