When does the scripted field scripts get executed

Andrian Fernandopulle September 26, 2017

Hello Everyone,

We have a Scripted Field (Numeric) which does a lot calculations using different regular fields (170 lines long) and come up with 1 numeric weight value for a ticket. We want to know how this will affect our system performance.

Mainly we want to know when this script is getting executed. Does this script get executed when ever a user views an issue ? What other actions will trigger the script while a user is working on the issue. Is there any caching attached to this ?

What happens if there are 1000 users viewing tickets at the same time where this scripted field is used.

We are trying to get a better understanding of how this Scripted field scripts get triggered  in the back end.

Please let us know if you know how the above works .

Thank you for your time.

1 answer

0 votes
Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2017

The scripted fields are run over the server side. They pull information from the server and present it to you. 

If the scripted field is not restricted by any means (meaning it is applicable to all projects in Global Context) , then the script would run for all the issues, regardless if the scripted field is present on the screen or not. 
I think if you restrict it to a certain project, then the field only runs in that particular project. 

JIRA requests all the custom fields on each issue regardless they are present on the screen on it. 
So you can verify it by getting all the custom fields with an issue. 

I'm not sure what would happen when 1000 users view an issue simultaneously. I think that would moreover be dependable on what your script is actually doing over the server side.
If it just pinging the server for just one value and doing most of the calculations by itself (like arithmetic operations) , then I think it'd perform better than saying an issue pinging the server for 10-15 values and then doing calculations on .

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events