What is the difference between Automation Lite for JIRA and Automation for JIRA?

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2016

There's 3 listings in the marketplace for Automation for JIRA (one 'lite'). Whats the difference?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2016

For full details please see https://docs.automationforjira.com/getting-started/lite-vs-pro.html

tl;dr:

Automation Lite is a free version of Automation for JIRA. You can use it for as long as you like if your team is still small, or if you'd like to evaluate Automation for JIRA for an extended period of time.

Cloud Lite

The Cloud and Server versions of Lite and Pro are exactly the same. They have all rule components available here: https://docs.automationforjira.com/getting-started/concepts.html#rule-components

The only limitation with Lite in Cloud is the number of Automation rules you can execute.  That is currently limited to 300 executions for your entire JIRA instance per calendar month (count resets on the first of every month).  So for example if you setup a single rule that is triggered by an issue created event, then the rule will only execute for the first 300 issues created in that month.

Once the limit has been breached, no further automation rules will execute until the next month.  We also send out an e-mail notification when this happens.

You can upgrade to the paid version at any time (simply by installing) it, which means you'll get another month free trial with the paid version. All the automation rules you setup in Lite will still be there after the upgrade - no manual steps required!

Why do we have this limitation?

Simply put: It does cost us money to host this service in Cloud.  Every time an automation rule executes, we have to pay for CPU time (and request) taken up by this execution in our AWS infrastructure. Additionally we also pay for persistence, queues, e-mail services and so on that are needed to host Automation for JIRA.

Server Lite

The server version allows for unlimited rules to be executed, however it only provides certain rule components.  The exact same set as the previous Atlassian Labs "JIRA Automation" add-on provided for free.  For a full list please our comparison table.

Users can also upgrade to paid at any time, simply by installing the paid version.

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2017

_

Max Scher May 14, 2018

@andreas Is it true that in Cloud Lite, I am unable to apply an automation rule to all users in a project? I'm assuming because the selection for 'Actor' of a given rule is limited to 'Automation app user', that only the administrator's actions will trigger any of the rules we define in a project.

Please advise.

2 votes
craiglew_vas October 12, 2018

@andreas

For Automation Lite you only get 300 Rule executions.  If I have a rule set to check on a ticket transition, which we could have about 100 each day, then I'd only be able to run it for free for 3 days?  I guess I'm looking for what the definition of execution means.  Is a check an execution or only when an action is applied?

Thanks.

craiglew_vas November 1, 2018

Here is the answer I received from Andreas Knecht:

So every rule execution counts (including when a condition is checked but that condition fails). The reason for this is that we pay for every single rule execution on your Jira instance in our AWS infrastructure that we use to run Automation for Jira Lite in Cloud. Even if a rule's actions don't execute due to a failed condition (such as JQL condition failure), we still have to execute some code on our servers to perform this JQL condition check, which requires CPU cycles that we pay for.

The way to minimize rule executions is to:

• Restrict your rules to specific projects only (you can set the project in 'Rule details')
  • Reduce your overall rules listening for issue events

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events