What happens to our diagrams if we end the Gliffy license?

If we end our Gliffy license, what happens to the diagrams that we've created so far?

Do they switch to a read-only state? Do we lose the data?

2 answers

Hi Jonathan, welcome to the Community!

For Gliffy and all other add-ons that follow Atlassian's licensing model, licensing entitles you to support and updates. Your existing diagrams and the ability to create new diagrams will still work even if you let your license expire.

However, new versions of Confluence might not be compatible with your now-older version of Gliffy. That's where you really need to be in support!

Theoretically, you could stop paying for everything right now and it would all keep working. For a while. Until browser updates make the older versions not work the way you want, or users start complaining that they're missing features. Then when you go to upgrade Confluence, all your plugins need to be in support as well to entitle you to the latest versions compatible with the latest Confluence.

Personally I think it's less of a headache to just stay up to date on your licensing, but are not forced to stay up to date if you feel like you have a strong enough case not to be.

Cheers,
Daniel

Is this also true for Confluence Cloud?  Will you lose the diagrams there?

Hi Connie,

I installed Gliffy on a Cloud instance, created a diagram, then un-licensed it to see what would happen.

My expectation (based on several years of Server use) is that the .png file Gliffy attaches to the page would be usable even if the Gliffy diagram were not. Here's what I got on the page after de-licensing:

image.pngWhen I checked the page's attachments, I still saw the .png attached, but when I opened it, the file was just a blank image. If on your own instance, you find those .png files actually have content, they should still be accessible even if your license runs out. But for whatever reason (latest version has a bug, can't generate .pngs during a trial evaluation, purposeful removal of the feature from Cloud, etc.) I was unable to see actual content in the .pngs either before or after unlicensing.

The editor definitely stops. Your milage may vary on the .png files.

Yup - that's really my main question, too. :) We're on the Cloud version of Confluence and we're considering switching from licensing Gliffy to a different tool. I want to be sure we're only losing our ability to edit our old diagrams and not losing access to view them in the future.

So the answer given is not clear if this true for Cloud

Ah gotcha - I wasn't sure if you meant Cloud or Server and just mistakenly assumed Server. See answer in comment above!

So for Cloud instances, Gliffy diagrams cannot be archived?  We're done with our need for this tool and would like to shut if off.  It's the almost as expensive as the Confluence license itself.  It's the third highest line item on our invoice in terms of price, right after JIRA and Confluence.

We need to stop paying for something we're no longer using.  We need to archive our diagrams somehow...

Convert the gliffy diagrams to draw.io and leave draw.io unlicensed. That still gives you the ability to view the diagrams, just not edit them. You can take those and use them in the free online version, if you wished.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 29, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

How to set up an incident workflow from the VP of Engineering at Sentry

Hey Atlassian community, I help lead engineering at Sentry, an open-source error-tracking and monitoring tool that integrates with Jira. We started using Jira Software Cloud internally last year, a...

1,380 views 0 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you