Using Tempo to plan by sprint

Ken Rickard May 31, 2012

I'm currently in my 30 day trial for JIRA/GreenHopper and I've recently enabled Tempo. My hope is that I can use Tempo to plan ahead for the next 3 sprints (rolling) for my employees.

We're an Agile Scrum team and we plan on using the Rapid Boards to pull in task from multiple projects in JIRA for each monthly sprint (i.e. Rapid Board for each Sprint).

Currently I keep track of team capacity in a spreadsheet with sections for the sprints and in each section I have listed the team members. There are rows for things like PTO, Holiday, Total Sprint Time, Allocation Percent. The formula takes the total sprint time (number of days in sprint x 8) and subtracts PTO and Holiday. Then adjust for allocation percent (80%). This gives me a total capacity for each team member and a grand total for the team for each sprint. I keep this updated in a rolling 3 month period and it is used for Grooming and Planning meetings.

So back to Tempo... I'm finding it hard to replicate this functionality since we are going to use Rapid Boards. The options under "Plan Time" are by Issue, Project, Version, Component, and Internal. None of these seem to help me.

Has anyone solved this issue?

OnDemand

JIRA - 5.0.6

GreenHopper - 5.10.1

Tempo - 7.1.1

Thanks,

Ken

2 answers

0 votes
Viðar Svansson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2012

Hi,

We have been waiting for GreenHooper 6 to be able to plan against future sprints. Older versions of GH didn't have the ability to create multiple sprints so there was nothing we could plan against.

Now that you can plan multiple sprints, we can look into allocating people to them.

Cheers,
Viðar
Tempo

MRJ November 19, 2012

Hi, any news on the feature mentioned above? How do you "plan multiple sprints" in GH / tempo. Im able to create multiple sprints in GH plan mode, but to add a date i must start them which is not what i want.

In Tempo i only see "versions" to plan against, but GH is not using this field anymore as the sprint indicator (luckally) ...

Viðar Svansson [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2012

Currently, the problem is that sprints are not created until you start them. Until you start a sprint, it is only a "marker" in the backlog. That means that if you would be able to plan against the marker, the plan would disappear as soon as you start the sprint. Until GH allows us to associate a marker with a sprint, we can't implement this feature.

0 votes
Ken Rickard June 7, 2012

Anyone?... Would be great if there was a single place to plan based on Rapid Boards (Sprints).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events