Trigger transition on linked issues

Nadine September 20, 2017

Hello Atlassian crowd

In my scenario a project and linked sub-projects (1:n) have identical workflow status and the project issue is supposed to trigger transitions on linked sub-projects so that status are always in synch. 

I have set up two automation rules for transitions which look like this:

When: Issue transitioned
Rule is run when an issue is transitioned through its workflow.

If: Issue matches JQL
project = ABC AND issuetype = Project AND status = "In Progress" and status was Open

For Linked issues

And: Linked issues match
project = ABC and issuetype = Sub-project and status = Open

Then: Transition the issue using
Start Progress (11) → ABC_Sub-Project

When: Issue transitioned
Rule is run when an issue is transitioned through its workflow.

If: Issue matches JQL
project = ABC AND issuetype = Project AND status = Open and status was "In Progress"

For Linked issues

And: Linked issues match
project = ABC and issuetype = Sub-project and status = "In Progress"

Then: Transition the issue using
Stop Progress (21) → ABC_Sub-Project

Execute this rule immediately when the rule is triggered, instead of in the background is checked

and 

Only include issues that have changed since the last time this rule executed is unchecked.

When a Project is transitioned from Open to In Progress, the rule is triggered correctly but no action is performed on the Sub-Project. In the Audit log it says The following issues did not match the condition: for the Sub-Project even though the JQL is correct. 

What am I doing wrong?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nadine November 1, 2017

For the sake of completeness - here's the answer I received from codebarrel, which solved my issue:

When you "Branch" the rule on linked issues, you then check the linked issues against a JQL. What you are doing here checking the linked issues of the linked issues of the original issue.
What I think you want is to just use a JQL Condition with that JQL. Once you "Branch" the rule, those issues become the "context" and and conditions or actions are performed against the issues you branch on.

0 votes
Nadine September 25, 2017

Hello Andreas

Hope you enjoyed the summit :-)

The scope of my rules is limited to one project (i.e. all issues supposed to trigger / be triggered are in the same project)  so I do not understand why the rule should be global. However, I did change the rule to Global but it did not help. 

I have logged a support ticket now and hope you will detect some logical error on my side rather than a bug. 

Many thanks

Nadine

0 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2017

Hi Nadine,

Apologies for the delay in responding to this - we were in transit back from Summit.

Can you check in rule details if this is a 'Global' rule in the project scope?  Otherwise, the 'Related issues' action will be restricted to find issues only in the project context set in rule details.

If this still doesn't work, can you open a support request via https://codebarrel.io/support and include screenshots of your rule configuration and audit log.

Cheers,
  Andreas

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events