Transition Status of a Linked Issue based on Link Type

I have JIRA Service Desk project (Project A) and a JIRA Software Development project (Project B).  When an issue comes in to Project A, we will create a linked issue in Project B with the Link Type "service desk".  

I want to transition the Project A issue when the Project B issue transitions.  I have set up an Automation Rule like the one here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Product-Apps-questions/How-do-I-automatically-trigger-a-status-change-on-a-linked-issue/qaq-p/604736.

However, that rule seems to make the transition for ALL linked issues.  I only want to make the transitions for linked issues with the Link Type "service desk".

Is there a way that I can do this?

1 answer

0 vote

Hey there Eldon,

It's not 100% perfect but if your linked issue has just the one link, matching on a condition that matches:

{{issue.issuelinks.first.type.name}}

EQUALS

service desk

Then the related issues will only run if it's first link is of "service desk" type.

I've added an issue for something simpler / more permanent at https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-561

Cheers,

Mark C

Thanks for the suggestion, Mark.  But potentially, we might have more than one issue linked.  I think the issue you raised (AUT-561) is exactly what we need.  Hopefully they'll get around to that soon. 

In the meantime, I'm using the project category to distinguish.  For example, our Service Desk projects will now all have the Project Category "Service Desk".  In the Service Desk Project, I can have issues A-1 and A-2.  In a regular Development Project, I can have issues B-1 and B-2.  Let's say A-1, A-2, and B-2 all link to B-1.  (Doesn't matter what Link Type anymore.)  Because my Automation Rule has a JQL to look for category="Service Desk", when I transition B-1, it will only transition A-1 and A-2, but not B-2.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Tuesday in Marketplace Apps

If you’re an Atlassian app developer, you’ll want to know about Atlas Camp!

This September 6-7, hundreds of Atlassian App developers will flock to Barcelona Spain to build skills, discover product roadmaps, meet face-to-face with the Atlassian team, and learn how to extend t...

119 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you