Test Cases hierarchy grouping

EdDev_Gilat July 24, 2013

During the demo we held with Jira and Zephyr, a requirement has been raised by the QA team regarding TC organizations into groups.

At the moment, the QA team work with TestLink and evaluate TFS.

They are used to the tree view in which TC are located under "folders", such that it is clear to what subject a TC belongs. In this way, it is easy to pickup the relevant tests for a specific version.

With Zephyr for Jira, I had a hard time finding an equivelent organization. I suggested to use a multi select field or the LABEL one to assign to the TC tags. In this way, it will be easy to filter the relevant TC to add to a test cycle. But it seems like the organization in a tree like hirarchy better fits their needs.

In addition, it was commented that the ability to add tests to a cycle is complex: After creating the cycles, the QA team will like to add a group of tests based on the previous point, however, such a grouping needs to have a pre-defined filter. One obvious disadvantage here is that it is not possible to create a temp filter in the test plan context.

Hope you guys could give me some tips to answer at least a few of the points raised.

Thanks,

Ed.

4 answers

1 vote
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2013

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the feedback. We are familiar with the folder hierarchy structure, and agree it is useful. It is used in the Zephry Enterprise Edition and it's free little brother the Zephyr Community Edition. There assignment functions can use the same folder hierarchy as you have in testcase creation. These programs, in a similar way to TestLink, don't sit inside JIRA and are free to make up their own data structures.

Our Organizational priciples for Zephyr for JIRA are based on the issue metafields JIRA comes with:Components, Versions, Labels, etc. As you are looking at a testing tool inside JIRA, where tests are JIRA issue types, these fields carry over.

In Zephyr for JIRA, you actually some additional options to add testcases to a cycle. For example, you don't necessarily have to use a pre-defined filter.

These include.

1) Type in a testcase ID to add it to a cycle.

2) Grab testcases from previous cycles by, for example, all failed testcases from a previous build's testing cycle.

Kind Regards,

Chris

EdDev_Gilat July 25, 2013

Thanks Chris.

Regarding the seconds point you mentioned, failed test executions: When an execution in a cycle fails, a bug is opened, fixed and then... ?

1. We run the execution again and pass it?

2. Create a new execution and run it? (in the same test cycle?)

0 votes
Naren G January 16, 2018

As Msage mentioned above, Im also looking for more folders kind of thing where I can keep test cases in folders per team with in a single project where we have multiple teams so that it would be easy to find each teams test cases. please let me know if there is any such functionality available, thank you.

Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2018

Hi Naren!

I hope you're well.

We have customers who use Structure for Jira in a similar fashion. A few of them use Zephyr for their test cases and let Structure handle the organizational aspect of their teams. 

I would be glad to discuss in more detail with you. Please feel free to write to our support team: support@almworks.com or to me directly: vlad@almworks.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Vlad

www.almworks.com

0 votes
MSage September 18, 2013

Not sure if this helps, but we're researching using the Jira "Structure" abiilty. Creating our heirachy there, adding inline cases to the structure, and being able to "share" cases between products because we can just "search" and add to our structure while the dependency exists. We're in the experiment phase, and have a couple things we need to work through but it seems to be a pretty easy setup.

The structure view allows us to see our groupings, labels, etc. but unfortunately is lacking a few views. One thing we'd like to be able to do is create a test cycle from selected cases in our structure, but I haven't figured that part out yet. I was just about to "Ask" that question when I saw this question and thought I'd add my penny to the pot.

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 26, 2013

Hi Ed,

The best practice is to create a new execution of the testcase. In this sense, you are recording the entire history of the testcase execution. If you just change the result on the first execution, you will lose your history.

Each test cycle can have associated build and environment information with it. We'd recomend leaving "failed" testcases in their original biuld/environment combination and then representing the new build where the bug was fixed in the next cycle.

Techincally speaking, you can technically changed a failed testcase to a passed testcase when ever you really want to. However the history isn't recorded at this point.

Kind Regards,

Chris

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events