Structure Plugin for managing issue links

Matt Whiteman November 29, 2017

I would like to use the JIRA Structure plugin as an easy way of viewing/creating/modifying issue links.

To be more specific, I would like to see one or more epics with a tree structure of issues underneath them.

• When I indent one story under another, I want a parent/child issue link to be formed.
  • If I unindent an item, I want the link to be removed.
  • If I move a child of one item to be the child of another, I want the first link to be broken and the second to be created.

I have tried various ways of setting up the automation, and have got very close to what I need, but there is always an unwanted side-effect. To take two examples:

Example 1: Import epics, extend with their issues, and extend the issues with their parent/child relationships

• Problem is that when moving an issue from directly under the epic to the first level of indentation under a story, the epic link is removed at the same time as creating the parent/child link.

Structure Example 1.png

Example 2: Import issues, group by epics, extend the issues with their parent/child relationships.

• This will not let me change the indentation of issues that are direct children of the epic as it would 'remove issues from the JQL result'.

Structure Example 2.pngIs there any way to achieve what I'm looking for?

1 answer

0 votes
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2017

Hi Matt,

In example 1, you are first breaking the Epic link and then creating the Parent/Child link. If your concern is that you do not have an option of putting the issue under another without creating a link then I must note that currently it is impossible, but we are working on improving how dynamic and static content interact and eventually this will be possible.

In example 2, you are removing the issue from its position dictated by JQL in inserter, grouper only arranges them under Epic, but they are still part of the original JQL. I assume that you are trying to unindent the issue here. Moving it under another story will be possible due to Parent/Child link forming and Remove Extender/Inserter duplicates filter justifying the removal from JQL results. 

Please, let me know if the above explanations are sufficient.

Regards,
Egor

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events