Structure Links Syncronizer question

I have a issue hierarchy like this:

A links1 to B

B links2 to C

I can succesfully add a Link Syncronizer for links1, but if I add a second Link Syncronizer for links2, the issue links for issues in the structure is messed (i.e the syncronizer add links1 and links2 to the issues).

I need to see a structure like this:

A

B

C

but I don't want the syncronizer to modify the issue links (links1 and links2)

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Adolfo,

When using several links synchronizers, you need to configure them to affect mutually exclusive subsets of issues with parameters "parent issue filter" and/or "sub-issue filter".

For example, if all A are Epics, all B are Stories and all C are Technical Tasks, you can configre links1 synchronizer with sub-issue JQL "issuetype = Story" and links2 synchronizer with sub-issue JQL "issuetype = Technical Task".

Secondly, if you don't want the synchronizer to modify the links, there are two different ways to do that:

1. Do not enable synchronizers, but run manual Resync (from Links to Structure) instead. The synchronizers will not track ongoing changes - so your structure will not change automatically. But this method is guaranteed not to change any links. Whenever you need to update structure, run Resync on both synchronizers again.

2. Configure synchronizers using "Links Primacy" option. This works rather differently. You can enable these synchronizers and they will track changes and update the structure. However, whenever the structure is found to be inconsistent with links, it is always structure that will be changed.

Note that with option 2 it is still possible that a link is deleted, if there are two incoming links into a single issue that are within synchronizer's scope of action (so it would need to place an issue in two places in the structure at the same time, which is not possible - so it removes the oldest link). You can configure which links are within the synchronizer's scope by using "Parent filter", "Sub-issue filter", and "Expansion" parameters.

Related documentation: https://wiki.almworks.com/x/lwBg

Hope this helps!
Igor

Thanks. I chose option 1 and it works OK.

One question: I have a situation where there are two incoming links into a single issue that are within synchronizer's scope of action. You mention that Structure will remove the oldest link. Is there a way that structure "outdent" the old link issue? Otherwise I will have to manually rearrange the structure to place the old link issue as parent and indent the new link issue.

There's no direct way to do that.

Basically, what you mean is that there are two possible parents, then remove that issue from the synchronizer scope... If that can be expressed via JQL via some filter for the sub-issue (like ".... AND numberOfIncomingLinks("link type") <= 1"), that could work. But I'm not aware of an existing JQL function that can help.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Marketplace Apps

The 7 hacks of highly successful automation

...there's anything I've learnt from working, it's that people are lazy! No offense to anyone reading this, but it's true and we can all admit it. The easier you make something for someone, the more...

336 views 0 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you