Structure Gantt chart not showing critical path

Camille October 10, 2018

Hi there

We are using Structure's Gantt chart to plan our production.

The current Gantt chart we have does not highlight any tasks in red as the critical path, even though we have critical path ticked.

What are the requirements for a task to be shown on the critical path, must all tasks have dependencies?

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Camille October 11, 2018

Thank you for the responses! We found the answer soon after posting the question - the only thing missing was that our milestone had to be set to "Automatic" instead of "Manual", and then suddenly the critical path tasks were highlighted.

Thanks

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2018

Thanks for following up with what you found to be the issue! Now other people that run into the same problem can check that too :)

Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2018

Glad you were able to figure it out, Camille!

Please feel free to reach out if you need anything else.

Cheers!

Vlad

[ALM Works]

Gilad Shtern October 7, 2021

Hi @Camille ,

I've switched into Auto scheduling and added milestone.

But no critical path was created.

Is there any additional pre-conditions?

Kindly,

Gilad

Yulia Barbash _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 29, 2021

Hello @Gilad Shtern

Yulia from ALM Works here! 

If you have filter transformations enabled in your structure, they might be hiding the critical task and its dependent tasks, so no tasks would be highlighted in red on the Gantt chart.

If you still can not find the critical path, we recommend contacting our support team support@almworks.com  for further investigation.

Best regards
Yulia 

Like # people like this
1 vote
Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2018

Hi Camille,

Thank you for your post.

My colleague Egor provided a reply to the Service Desk request you logged with us but I wanted to post here as well to make sure you received it.

Critical Path, by definition, is the sequence of tasks which when delayed affect the Finish Date of the whole Project. It is a set of critical tasks and may or may not form a path. A task is considered critical if its "Slack" is equal to or less than 0. Slack is the amount of time a task can be delayed without delaying the whole Project.

I don't know if that might be the case for you but if you have an opening in the sequence of two tasks, it cannot be a Critical Path, as the first task has some allowance for a delay.

I hope this helps. Otherwise, perhaps you can share a screenshot with us on the ticket you logged via our Service Desk so we can further assist you. 

Best Regards,

Vlad

[ALM Works]

Simon January 9, 2019

Hi Vlad,

Is it possible to view the critical path for subsets of a project?

i.e. With a project with multiple phases / milestones it would be really useful to see the critical path within a specific milestone.

Si

Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2019

Hey Si!

Critical Tasks are those tasks which, when delayed, will delay the finish of the whole project. A Critical path is a set of critical tasks. By definition, this would be calculated based on the latest milestone.

Could you tell me a bit more about your use case? Perhaps I can share with our Product Team to see if there's a possibility to improve the feature.

Best Regards,

Vlad

ALM Works

Simon January 9, 2019

Hi Vlad,

Your definition of critical path (i.e. set of tasks with zero slack) works perfectly when the limiting factor in creating an end to end plan is a set of fully interconnected tasks.

In many projects, there are other variables to contend with (i.e. externally driven dates that define when tasks can start).

If you have such a restriction during a late phase of a project then your critical path functionality just highlights the last set of tasks with zero slack (exactly the correct behaviour as you've currently defined it).

What would be really useful would be to have a way to highligh the critical path for selected milestones within a project (should just be the same logic regarding zero slack, just using a milestone as the limiting condition rather than project end)

Si

Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2019

Got it, Si.

Great Suggestion! I'll pass it along to our Product Team.

Cheers!

Vlad

Benedikt Wallenhorst April 23, 2020

Hi Vlad,

are here any updates in regards to the critical path related to Milestones?
Thanks and Best regards
Benedikt

1 vote
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2018

Hi Camille, and welcome to Community!

I found the following in the documentation about Structure. Have you confirmed that you have the critical path highlighting showing?

You can show or hide critical path highlighting using the Options menu in the Gantt toolbar.

Gilad Shtern October 14, 2021

Hi @Camille ,

Could you share an updates?

Kindly,

Gilad

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events