Single Service Desk Customer specific knowledge base(s)?

So the use case is the following.

Use Case

A single Service Desk project. All customers use this service desk. 

Need a knowledge base. But, here is the catch. The different customers can't see KB articles for other customers.

Possible Solution

I think this is possible using groups and adding service desk customers to these groups. 

Then have a single knowledge base with page restrictions based on the groups. 

Would this work?

Possible issues with this approach...

• This would require that the Service Desk customers take a confluence users license.  Any way around this?
  • As this is a cloud instance I don't believe that Jira can be set as Confluence user directory. So the groups and group members will need to be maintained seperately. Is this correct?
  • We would also need to align the Service Desk organizations with the groups as they are not real groups but rather a custom field.

The Big Questions

Does anyone have a better approach?

Are there any plugins that could help solve this?

2 answers

Did some testing using groups and restrictions with a single KB space a page restrictions and that seemed to work fine from portal. KB only return pages according to the restrictions. 

This was a server instance though. 

How to centrally manage groups in cloud? Can a Jira instnace be the user directory in cloud as it can on server instances?

So that answer is answered I believe. Cloud allows to manage users and groups across the applications. So that should work. 

This only leaves licenses and organization alignement.

I am guessing I am out of luck as far as these go. It will cost licenses in confluence and organization, as it is a custom field, is a manual thing unless we do some custom scripting.

I'm pretty shocked that this isn't possible. And sad. Please vote for this suggestion: CONFCLOUD-64798

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Oct 31, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

Marketplace Spotlight: Zephyr

Hello Atlassian Community! Each month, we run a series of Spotlights to highlight Marketplace vendors and apps that our team thinks this Community would find valuable. In last month's Spotlig...

335 views 0 1
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you