Showing child objects in Insight

Jon Hill December 4, 2017

https://documentation.riada.se/insight/latest/insight-manager-s-guide/object-type-inheritancementions that "we changed Insight's basic view so that it is possible to see all objects in an inheritance tree for both the current object type and all of it's children."  The video describing how to add inheritance to existing objects (i.e., by moving them to new objects) has the same view.

But there's nothing in the documentation and nothing I can find in the UI to enable a view of a given object to show all the objects in its inheritance tree.

For example, in my case I have an Asset object type and I've gone into the Configuration to tick off the boxes labeled, "Let the attributes be inherited by the subclasses" and "Set the object type as abstract."  I then created child objects called Server, Mobile, Network and Other.  I've populated the Server and Network object types but I can't figure out how to see them when I click on the Asset object type.  I know it's possible since the documentation mentions it in passing.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Asparuh Stanev December 5, 2017

Hello,

Thank you for opening the question here.

If you have the inheritance structure in place and there are objects in either the parent (if not abstract) or the child object types, there is no need for any additional settings to view the objects. 

The purpose of the inheritance structure is that, by clicking on the parent object type in the structure view, you can see and manage all the objects that are part of the parent or any child object types.

I hope this answers you question.

Regards, Asparuh

0 votes
Konstantin Weber - SVA November 2, 2022

Hello community,

I know this is an old thread, but I have an additional question to this.

Is there any chance to DISABLE showing inherited child objects in the parent object type?

EDIT: addition to this - without using an AQL filter for each object type to only show/include objects in this very object type view.

What we're trying to implement is the functionality to set the assignee to a deputy on the current issue's assignee after a few days of no interaction with the issue. This deputy should be set from the parent object type.

With best regards
Konstantin 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events