Scriptrunner to validate 'create/edit' fields

Bob October 24, 2017

Hi all, 

Am very new to Scriptrunner so I may be misunderstanding but I have been asked to implement it to essentially do validation on the issue create/ edit screens. For example: 

Field 1 = ABC

then field 2 drop down must = XYZ 

I guess I would either like to provide a validation message or if possible actually modify the second field to change its value based on the first field. 

I am just wondering if I can use Scriptrunner in this way at this level? A lot of what I have read indicates that these kinds of transitions can be done during workflows but I am aiming to do them on creation/ edit of tickets.  

Any guidance on where to get started in order to write and trigger scripts on create/edit screens would be greatly appreciated!  

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jenna Davis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2017

Hello, 

I believe you'll want to start looking into behaviours. There is also an example in the ScriptRunner documentation here that does something similar to what you described. If you want to learn more, you can read through the behaviour recipes

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions. 

Jenna Davis

Bob October 31, 2017

Hi Jenna, 

Apologies another question, I couldnt see a way to get behaviours to throw up a error message so moved on to use simple scripted validators. Although from what I understand these wont work on issue edit? 

What should I be using to throw up error messages when users input invalid data on the edit screen? 

And am I incorrect in thinking behaviours cant put up error messages to the end user? 

All the best, 

Bobby

Jenna Davis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2017

You can use .setHelpText() and .setDescription() in your behaviour to give messages to your users.

A validator can also be used to do this. :)

0 votes
Bob October 31, 2017

EDIT: Ignore this, found that this is done at the Workflow level. 

Hi, 

Many thanks for the advice, I actually found something which I think would be very useful here: 

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/4.3.9/jira/recipes/workflow/validators/simple-scripted-validators.html

Where are simple scripted validators for create and edit implemented?

All the best, 

Bobby 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events