Scriptrunner - Find the time difference between 2 date / time fields

Darren Campbell September 13, 2017

I have two date/time fields ("Actual Start" & "Actual End").  Want I want to do is have a scripted field which is the time difference between these 2 dates / time.

So far I've only been able to get an integer response which is representing the days but I need this displayed in minutes / hours etc.

Any help would be appreciated as I’m stuck :(

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jenna Davis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2017

Hello, 

It's not written for your exact situation, but this script should return a calculated 'Date' value:

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue;
import  java.util.Date.* 

def customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager();
def dateFieldObject= customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName('FieldA');
def dateFieldObject2= customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName('FieldB');

if
(issue.getCustomFieldValue(dateFieldObject) && issue.getCustomFieldValue(dateFieldObject2))
{
def dateValue=  issue.getCustomFieldValue(dateFieldObject) as Date    
def dateValue2=  issue.getCustomFieldValue(dateFieldObject2) as Date    
return dateValue - dateValue2
}

Let me know if you had something else in mind, or if you need help getting it to work for your exact situation. :)

Regards,

Jenna

Darren Campbell September 14, 2017

Hi Jenna,

Thanks for your response.

The outcome of your script is similar to what I get already.  The returned value is an integer so it’s basically only representing days.

What I'd like is to include hours and minutes, not just days.

Jenna Davis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2017

You can get the number of milliseconds by doing:

return dateValue.getTime() - dateValue2.getTime()

And then convert to hours and minutes from there. 

Darren Campbell September 18, 2017

I didn't know the epoch time was in milliseconds, I was getting this value but didn't realise it was milliseconds.

I have converted this using the link below and I know get the required breakdown of the time difference.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12125311/how-to-convert-milliseconds-into-hours-and-days

Thanks again

Steve Letch July 23, 2019

Mine is returning 19 years when the difference is only one day 0_o

Tobias May 12, 2021

What to do if the second value is only an integer value and i want to get the sum as a date?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events