Script JQL Functions: linkedIssuesOf() vs. epicsOf() & issuesInEpics()

Dennis Markwart November 24, 2016

Hi,

in the past we used the JQL Script Function linkedIssuesOf() to find Issues in certain Epics or Epics of certain Issues. In a newer version of the Script JQL Functions, it seems like there are some more convenient functions introduced (IssuesInEpics() and epicsOf()) to achieve the same result:  

issuefunction in linkedIssuesOf(SUBQUERY, "is Epic of")
issueFunction in issuesInEpics(SUBQUERY)
issuefunction in linkedIssuesOf(SUBQUERY, "has Epic")
issueFunction in epicsOf(SUBQUERY)

Does those new functions have a better performance than the linkedIssuesOf() function? Does it make sense to migrate all existing Filters to use the new Functions?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2016

No - performance will be identical. If one way was faster we'd do a migration job, or at least encourage people to change them manually. (You could probably verify they have similar performance characteristics using the provided profiler).

My advice would be to use epicsOf etc going forwards, as it's more intuitive and has a simpler syntax, but no need to migrate. 

Dennis Markwart November 24, 2016

Thanks for your quick reply, Jamie.

This perfectly answers my question!

0 votes
ALam7 August 20, 2019

Hi, thanks for sharing. Having some doubts here. How come these queries are bringing for my project different results

• issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("filter=34148") AND type = story
    -> brings 75 results 
  • issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("filter=34148", "is epic of") AND type = story
    -> bring 155 results
  • While issueFunction in issuesinepics("filter=34148") AND type = story
    -> Also brings 155 (which seems to be the correct)

Was under the impression that the linkedIssuesOf would bring all related issues (no matter what the relation), while setting a relation parameter ("is epic of") should only narrow down the results?

Any ideas?

Andrey Aristarkhov December 24, 2019

The 2-nd paramter of linkedIssuesOf is optional. If omitted the function returns all kind of issue links. 

Piers Williams January 3, 2021

That's what the documentation says ("With no link name argument, will search for the linked issues whatever the link type"), but as per ALam7, that's not what I get. I only get all the epic's children if I include "is epic of".

My interpretation is that "is epic of" is implemented as a special case for 'link name', given it is actually a different kind of link within Jira itself.

0 votes
Prabhakaran Nachimuthu June 26, 2018

How to run the  (IssuesInEpics() and epicsOf()) functions?

Dennis Markwart June 26, 2018

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events