Rendering is a little too small for my tired eyes

Robin Roos May 6, 2014

I'm finding the rendering of expressions such as

e^{\imath \tau} = 1

is a little too small and tight for my eyes.

Can LaTeX Math be configured to scale the point size up slightly?

2 answers

0 votes
Jason Boileau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2014

EDIT: I remember now that you are using the internal renderer, in which case the suggestions below will not be useful. You can expect better handling of font sizes in LaTeX Math in the near future.

I will expand on Rafaels answer.

Assuming you want to increase the font sizes globally, I recommend applying one of the following changes to the LaTeX header in the LaTeX Math settings.

1. Change

\documentclass{article}

to

\documentclass[12pt]{extarticle}

This will require the extsizes package, will will be installed automatically if using MiKTeX with the right options. Otherwise it will need to be installed manually (run "apt-get install texlive-latex-recommended" in ubuntu).

OR

2. Add \fontsize{12}{14} to the end of the LaTeX header.

0 votes
rsperafico
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 7, 2014

Hi Robin,

Yould could use:

\DeclareMathSizes{display size}{text size}{script size}{scriptscript size}.
\DeclareMathSizes{12}{30}{16}{12}

\mathlarger

\resizebox{20cm}{!}
Note that the \resizebox takes arguments \resizebox{width}{height}. In the above I have used {!} for the height to ensure that the aspect ratio remains true - otherwise you might get stretched boxes.

\fontsize{12}{14}
The first parameter to \fontsize is the size (in points) of the font you want. The second parameter is your desired value of \baselineskip, which (a) is basically line spacing, (b) should be about 1.2*fontsize, and (c) is irrelevant here unless you're doing a multiline equation. Finally, \selectfont tells LaTeX that you're done setting font parameters, and it should go ahead and search for a font that matches your request.

Please, refer to http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Fontsfor more details.

Kind regards,
Rafael

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events