Project admins unable to add values to new Project Specific Multi-select fields

Brendan McGrath April 3, 2014

We upgraded our Project Specific Select fields plugin to the latest version (2.0.1) and in testing with the new fields, we are unable to edit the field values from the Project admin section. Values only appear to be added, or managed by JIRA admins.

Am I missing something? Please help.

8 answers

0 votes
Nadeem Zakir September 22, 2014

Thanks for the quick response. It is working now. I uninstalled the plugin and re-installed it and can now get the field tab to display. From my understanding, I would still need to create a Project Specific Select Field for each project if they do not want to use the same values as any other project, correct?

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2014

Great that its working now. You don't need to create a custom field per project. You can have one custom field e.g. "Customer" for a bunch of projects. You need to create a custom field *context* per project, if they should have different select option values.

PERFECT, that is working exactly as we want it!!!! Thank you.

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2014

In next release I want to provide a possibility to bulk create these custom field contexts for a list of projects in batch mode. Currently you have to do this one by one which is cumbersome if you have a big JIRA instance with high number of projects, which shoul get e.g. this "Customer" field. Stay tuned. :-)

0 votes

We are also seeing the same issue - am Jira System Admin and also project Admin, but I dont see any Project Specific tab on the project overview section.  using the latest plugin and Jira 6.3.5.

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 22, 2014

Did you create a custom field of Project Specific Select Field (single) or (multiple)? Did you create a custom field context for the project?

0 votes
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2014

How about the permissions for the project, try to add all rights to Project Role (administrators) to permission scheme and add yourself to the project role admin.

Yes, that is how I an admin of the project. The jira-administrators group is in the Admin role, and the Permissions scheme has the role of admins set to administer the project.

0 votes

I have project admin rights as well as JIRA admin rights. The reindex did not fix things. I am still not able to add values from the Project Specific section of the project, for the new fields, but the old fields still work.

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2014

Can you have a look at the log files for an error message?

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2014

Does the new custom field appear in the Project Specific tab? Do you have an "Add" button? But the "Add" button does not have effect?

Yes, I see the field to add a new value, and the Add button, but when the new value is entered, and Add is clicked, the page reloads, and no new values are present.

Could there be a conflict with another plugin?

Checked the catalina.out and atlassian-jira.log for when I add new values. No log updates with any information. Is there a better log to check?

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2014

Strange... Which browser are you using? Which JIRA version are you using? Which database? Are you pressing enter or are you clicking "Add"? Can you paste the URL after clicking "Add" here? Are you able to add an option via the regular admin interface in config custom field context and it appears in the Project Specific tab?

Brendan McGrath April 4, 2014

Using Chrome Version 33.0.1750.154 m, JIRA version 6.1.7, MySQL 5.5. I am clicking Add and pressing enter, both.

This is the URL after clicking add: http://jira-test.nge.starwave.com:8085/browse/?new_option_value=Michael&customfield_id=12720

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 6, 2014
Looks correct. I will release a new minor version with more logging details to analyze, because I cannot reproduce the problem on my localhost. Can you as a JIRA admin can add options via regular custum field context configuration and they appear in the Project Specific tab of the project?
Brendan McGrath April 7, 2014

Yes, that is the only way, currently for new values to be added to the field.

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2014

I have released a new version 2.0.2 of Project Specific Select Field plugin. I hope, that your problem is now fixed. Can you please update and check?

Cheers
Holger

Brendan McGrath April 10, 2014

I installed the new version, and still seeing the same behavior. Do I need to remove those fields, and recreate, or do anything new?

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2014

You could activate detailed logging as described in the documentation and post the log here or via email, so that I can analyze your problem in more detail.

Brendan McGrath April 10, 2014

What email address can I use to send this log to you?

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 20, 2014

Brendan emailed me the detailed log files, but everything looks fine from code. At the end he recreated the custom field and then was able to add the option values via the Project Specifc tab as expected.

0 votes
Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2014
You need Administer Project previlidges in Permission Scheme of the project https://confluence.atlassian.com/plugins/servlet/mobile#content/view/185729636. JIRA Admin permission from Global Permissions is not enough.
0 votes
Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2014
Have you created a custom field context for the custom field? Cheers Holger
0 votes

I'm re-indexing now. When I initially added the fields, I did not set a context. I have since narrowed the field to one project, but all issue types. Won't know if the re-index works for a bit.

0 votes
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2014

Hi Brendan,

Did you reindex JIRA after the upgrade? That might take care of the issue.

Mehmet

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events