Programs in BigPicture and BigGantt

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2018

I'm evaluating both BigPicture and BigGantt to determine if one or both of the plug-ins can help my organization plan projects within programs and portfolios....and to help me with some hands-on learning of Jira for project management in general. I have two test projects set up that will have inter-dependencies and  share some risks (using the Risk Register plug-in). 

I've set up a test program in BigPicture and would like to use the same test program in BigGantt. Is there a way to create a program that is visible to both plug-ins, or are the two completely separate from each other?

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2018

they're separate. BUT if you create a filter in JIRA and use that same filter to create the program in both BG & BP, it makes it a little easier.  Then the only configuration you have to do in BG/BP is the security, quick filters, and perspectives.  AND if you're going to have >1 Program , base all of the others off that one's configuration, and then you don't have to keep manually adding the quick filters and perspectives.

Why would you be evaluating BOTH BG and BP?  BG is just the Gantt module of BP, available as a stand alone utility, with cheaper pricing.  You don't gain anything by evaluting both at the same time.  Just evaluate BP, and if you like ONLY the Gantt portion, just switch to BG.

Also, I don't know anything about the Risk Register plug-in, but BP comes with a Risks module.

I do hope this helps!

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2018

Thank you, that helps quite a bit. The task to evaluate both BG and BP came from "on high" to see which one I liked better and would recommend using for a new PMO. Since I am new to Jira it has been a good experiment.   

The Risk Register plug-in fits my needs for managing risk; I'll review the risk module in BP and compare.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2018

I forgot to mention, as a best practice I have taken to naming my JIRA filters 'BG-xxx'.  where 'xxx' is the name of the BigGantt program that the fitler serves as the source for.  That way, when I go into JIRA to manage filters, it's easy to see the ones that source the BigGantts.

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2018

Thanks for the tip!

Like Tanya Fraser likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events