Pricing model question

John Fisher December 15, 2015

We were looking to upgrade our JIRA server from 6.3 to 7.0, and was surprised to see that the Script Runner tool we are using for a few minor additions to our server is now a commercial product.

We need to understand your pricing model better – how do you counter number of users? We have a license for unlimited number of users, but we actually have 715 users in the system, and of those, probably 200 are in no groups (i.e. locked out; they left the project). So, what kind of license do we require?

4 answers

1 vote
Mark McCormack (Adaptavist)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2015

Hi John,
The Atlassian Marketplace is such that it more or less forces some aspects of the plugin licensing model. I’m not quite sure though why you would go for an unlimited JIRA license rather than say a 2000 user license if you only have 715 users.
We understand that there will be people who are disappointed with any price, but we hope that our users will see the benefit of our investment in documentation, development and support. We did this so that ScriptRunner can continue to grow and provide the quality, new features, new recipes, support and compatibility that a powerful scripting platform needs.
In some cases an organisation like yours may need only a small number of customised groovy scripts, but the benefits of those scripts are likely to be seen and felt across their entire instance of JIRA, particularly if it is a scripted field, a workflow condition, a validation or post-function.
Our investment in the ScriptRunner family and particularly ScriptRunner for JIRA will continue over the coming months and years.  I'd recommend you contact our sales team through sales@adaptavist.com and talk to us about how you might optimise your licensing further.
1 vote
John Fisher December 15, 2015

so... to use your script in one workflow and several queries for about 50 of our users, you want us to pay $12,000 for a product we used to use for free?

0 votes
John Fisher December 16, 2015

We have an unlimited license because our laboratory has a site license, with several different JIRA installations (each with an unlimited number of users).

Whenever I've seen companies go from freeware to commercial in the past, it's always been a tiered system (a free version, and a paid version). It's disappointing you didn't take that route, or at least a substantially lower price range. We have a hard time justifying this expenditure, and need to consider other options.

Mark McCormack (Adaptavist)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2015

John, perhaps we can pick this conversation up directly. Could you please email me via sales@adaptavist.com?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2015

The count is done on the maximum number of users for the largest of the JIRA applications you have.  In this case, it's "unlimited", so you fall into the top licence tier for the add-on

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events