Postgres - Query Not working because of extra '::interval" part of query

Rahul Bahl December 14, 2015

Hi Support Team,

I am converting the time of a column from seconds to a format "hh:mm:ss" with the below query, and now is seems that pocket query is interpreting "::interval" as a parameter. To confirm there is no issue with the query I have tested it directly on how database and it works. Please advise how to correct this (query shown below). Thanks.

Regards,

Rahul

----------

Query:

select "Create Date", "Requet Number" AS "Request Number", "Request Name", "name" AS "Environment",  select "Create Date", "Requet Number" AS "Request Number", "Request Name", "name" AS "Environment",  TO_CHAR((requestruntimeinsec || 'second')::interval, 'HH24:MI:SS') AS "Duration", "aasm_state" AS "Status", "Completed At with Timestamp" AS "Completion Time" from tableau_trends where application_name= :Application_Name;

5 answers

0 votes
Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2016

Hi Rahul,

We are planning to release PocketQuery 2.1 in February. This version won't interpret strings with two colons (e.g. ::interval) at all and should solve your problem. I just prepared an early access version for you here. Could you test if this version solves your issue?

Regards, Felix

Rahul Bahl January 28, 2016

Hey Felix,

Thanks for the update. I will give it a go either tomorrow or early next week and let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Regards,

Rahul

0 votes
Rahul Bahl January 4, 2016

Hi Felix,

Is there some way of simplifying this? There will be other people on the team working on this and if I am unavailable they will be stuck trying to figure it out on their own. Thanks.

Regards,

Rahul

Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2016

Hi Rahul! Currently I'm afraid there is no easier way. Do you have multiple queries like this that have to be administered?

Rahul Bahl January 5, 2016

Hi Felix, I can't confirm if the queries will be the exact same but I know that some queries are much more complicated than this one. Hence the need for a simpler way to do what was provided above if there is any possibility. Thanks. Regards, Rahul

Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2016

If there was a way to escape the colon such that is would not be interpreted as parameter, would that work for you?

Rahul Bahl January 7, 2016

Hey Felix, That would definitely work :). Thanks. Regards, Rahul

0 votes
Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2015

Hi Rahul,

I would try to keep the query simpler and do the logic in a PocketQuery template. I created two Velocity macros that should convert the seconds you get from the database to a date string. I tested those and they work fine. The rest of the template I haven't really tested but it should work somehow like this. Also check the article PocketQuery Templating for general templating documentation.

Query:

SELECT 
	"Create Date",
	"Requet Number",
	"Request Name",
	"name" AS "Environment",
	"requestruntimeinsec" AS "Duration",
	"aasm_state" AS "Status",
	"Completed At with Timestamp" AS "Completion Time"
FROM tableau_trends
WHERE application_name= :Application_Name;

Template:

#macro(zeroPad $myNumber)
#if($myNumber < 10)
#set($myNumber = "0${myNumber}")
#end
$myNumber## dummy comment against trailing whitespace
#end

#macro(createDateString $totalSeconds)
#set($myHours = $totalSeconds / 3600)
#set($myMinutes = ($totalSeconds % 3600) / 60)
#set($mySeconds = $totalSeconds % 60)
#zeroPad(${myHours}):#zeroPad(${myMinutes}):#zeroPad(${mySeconds})
#end

<table class="pocketquery-table confluenceTable">
  <tr>
		<th>Create Date</th>
		<th>Requet Number</th>
		<th>Request Name</th>
		<th>Environment</th>
		<th>myDate</th>
		<th>Status</th>
		<th>Completion Time</th>
  </tr>
  #foreach ($row in $result)
		<tr>$row.get("Create Date")</tr>
		<tr>$row.get("Requet Number")</tr>
		<tr>$row.get("Request Name")</tr>
		<tr>$row.get("Environment")</tr>
		<tr>#createDateString($row.get("Duration"))</tr>
		<tr>$row.get("Status")</tr>
		<tr>$row.get("Completion Time")</tr>
  #end
</table>

Note: you could also use the PQ JavaScript API and do some charting. Something along these lines:

<script>
(function() {
  var result = PocketQuery.queryArray();
  var dataTable = [PocketQuery.queryColumns()];
  jQuery.each(result, function(index, row) {
  	var myDate = new Date(row['Duration']);
  	// ...here you can do whatever with the date and JS...
    dataTable.push([
    	row['Create Date'],
    	row['Requet Number'],
    	row['Request Name'],
    	row['Environment'],
    	myDate,
    	row['Status'],
    	row['Completion Time']
	]);
  });
  PocketQuery.chart('Table', {
    dataTable: dataTable
  });
}())
</script>

Let me know if you need more help!

Regards, Felix (Scandio)

0 votes
Rahul Bahl December 15, 2015

Hi Felix,

I’m not sure of how to change the query to not use ‘::interval’. Are there any escape characters I can use in pocket query so that it does not interpret it and still not impact the behavior/results of the query? Thanks.

Regards,

Rahul

Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2015

Can you provide any resources on what this "::interval" flag is? I can't currently find anything in the Prostgres documentation. I haven't seen it before.

Rahul Bahl December 16, 2015

Sure Felix, here is an example from the postgres documentation - http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/functions-formatting.html From documentation - to_char(double precision, text) text convert real/double precision to string to_char(125.8::real, '999D9') This is where I saw the query used - http://gaganonthenet.com/2013/08/06/postgresql-convert-seconds-to-hhmmss/ Hope this helps. I will be on vacation and not returning until the first week in the new year. Will check back with you once I'm back. Happy Holidays :). Regards, Rahul

0 votes
Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2015

Hi Rahul,

Indeed, every word that starts with a colon, will be interpreted as a query parameter, except that it's within single quotes. That's why the colons in 'HH24:MI:SS' won't be interpreted. Is there a way to change your statement such that you don't have to use a colon?

Regards, Felix

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events