Possible to compare to fields in Automation Rule?

Grayson Bishop December 4, 2017

I want to compare the "new supervisor" field with the "current supervisor" field to see if they're the same. If they're the same I want to circumvent a "New Supervisor Approval" step in the workflow, but I can't figure how to do this.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2017

Hi Grayson,

Unfortunately one cannot do that in jql so one cannot do it in JSD Automation.   You can see if the new supervisor field is Empty?  Not sure if that helps.

Susan

2 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2017

Hi Grayson,

This is something you should be able to do with our app Automation for Jira: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.codebarrel.addons.automation/

We have a 'Compare condition' that can compare issue fields using smart-values (as well as JQL conditions). You could setup a rule like this:

• Trigger: Issue edited?
  • Compare condition:
    • First value: {{issue.New Supervisor}}
    • Equals
    • Second value: {{issue.Current Supervisor}}
  • Action: Transition issue to some other workflow status

Cheers,
  Andreas

Grayson Bishop December 6, 2017

Thanks Andreas, that's really helpful.

Christof Hurst _kreuzwerker_ December 13, 2019

But with that app an approval is not possible