Portfolio View in Structure

AJ October 27, 2017

I am using structure to create a template plan and copy the same plan for each of the project.  I want to be able to see a view with only the highest level of the structure for each of the projects (like a portfolio view).   How to achieve this?

-AJ

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2017

Hi AJ,

Could be I misunderstand your requirement, but it seems to me that using Collapse All sub-items button (in the top-left corner of the Structure board, to the right of Add and Expand all buttons), should do the trick. This will hide all lower level items, still keeping them in the structure. Alternatively, you can use S-JQL Filter transformation, with only root in the S-JQL query. This removes sub-items from the structure while the transformation is active. If this is not what you want to see, could you please, describe the expected result in more details?

Regards,
Egor

AJ October 30, 2017

Thanks for the response.  I have a two part problem.  First regarding my original question.  In the gadget, if I use S-JQL and choose root, it does not show the summation correctly.  It only shows the hours for the top level task.  

My second question is regarding portfolio management.  What I have done is created a template structure for my projects (like a project plan).  For each of my project, I will copy the template structure and rename it for the specific project.   I want to be able to see all the structures (projects) I have created.   How to do that.  I see I can only choose one structure at a time?

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2017

Hi AJ,

For the first part of the problem: You are probably using generator (automation) rather than transformation. Generator filter effectively removes items from structure, so any summation will be lost. However, transformation is a temporary filter and can be used together with summary columns (if you do not choose "After filtering" option there). Here is a bit of documentation about using transformations.

In reply to the second question: You can create a "structure of structures" by using Automation+>Insert>Structure in a separate structure. Note that it quickly can become rather large, so I'd recommend accessing it sparingly only to reference your other structures.

Regards,
Egor Tasa

ALM Works Support

AJ November 1, 2017

Thanks Egor.  For the second one, what you suggested seems to do the trick.  I will play around a little bit more. Thanks.

For the first item, "only showing hours for the top level task", I am not using automation or transformation (most likely I do not understand).  What I am doing is, going to dashboard and adding structure gaget.  In the settings for the gadget, I choose filter type as "S-JQL" and Query as "root".  Is there some other way to show only the top (root) level and be able to see the summation?

Great Help.

Thanks,

AJ

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2017

Hi AJ,

The summation should work properly with gadget filter as well, as it is a type of transformation. Could you check, if your summary column has After filtering checkbox marked? If yes, uncheck it and summation should work.

Perhaps, you can show a screenshot of the problematic column's settings?

Regards,
Egor

AJ November 2, 2017

The Summary column did have the "After filtering" checkbox marked.  I removed it and it is showing what I expected to see.  

Thank You very much for your help. 

AJ.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events