Non-matching email deletion with multiple profile issue

Simon Gao April 14, 2013

Hi Andy,

The JEMH 1.3.x brings in a new feature that automatically deletes an email when a profile does not find a match. This is good.

However, with current defaut setting, this feature can cause problem as well. For example, I have 8 profiles and they use different matching email addresses to add incoming emails to different projects. The first email might not match first profile's address, but no. 7 will. In this scenario, the email will be deleted before profile 7 starts. This is not desirable.

What I expect is the last profile will delete the non-matching email if it does not match all of the 8 profiles.

Can you make this change? Otherwise we will have to leave non-matching email in Jira Inbox.

Thanks,

Simon

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2013

YEs, this can't be done currently. The expected use was that a single mailbox would be owned by a Profile, and any emails not matching should be dropped, forwarded or left there if they didn't match an expected addressee. With the shared mailbox scenario, you can't drop or forward, so it doesnt help.

As I just answered on https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/155928/jemh-errors the mail handlers are not invoked sequentially so concurrency may cause problems.

I think you must leave the mail in the inbox, no choice.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2013

The design intent of the Profiles was the everything you can want to do with one mailbox can be accomplished within that Profile, mainly through Project Mappings. Can you expand on why 8 profiles are needed?

Simon Gao April 16, 2013

Let me use an example. Say we have three projects, QA, help and dev. Each of the projects has a dedicated email address which a user can send email to create a ticket. So we have:

qa@example.com for QA project

help@example.com for Help project

dev@example.com for Dev project

We create a separate JEMH profile for each project with corresponding catch Email address. This is recommeded practice by JEMH documention. This helps avoiding users have to type keyword in subject line or mail body.

If this has changed with the newer JEMH, then I am open to explore this new option.

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2013

Oh, I should add, because you have all mappings in one place, you know that if no match is found, that you can (a) forward (b) drop as required because no other profiles are expected to run against those mailboxes (I hope).

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2013

Hi Simon,

So I'd approach this as follows:

1. Many inbound mailboxes can be associated with a JEMH Mail Handler and related Profile selection.

2. Using catchemail is certainly a good ide, but you can use several, comma separated, catering for all your incoming addresses in one place.

3. Project Mappings allow incoming addressees (to: address) to be matched through a Domain Mapping rule within. A range of useful 'initialization' fields can be defined such as component, labels, assignee, reporter, issuetype, priority, there is also a user defined key/value pair to inject specific values.

By using Project Mappings, everything is automated, users do not have to nominate a project with Directives.

For a relatively straight forward 'mail to X goes to Project Y' type arrangement, it is pretty simple to setup, and reduces the overall complexity of management (and support!)

To get the latest Project Mapping features, you will need to upgrade JIRA to 5.2.x

Simon Gao April 18, 2013

We have different settngs for different projects. Some projects are set to strip the quote, others are not. Also some projects need to send custom notification up issue creation while others do not.

Besides project mapping based on addresee address, is it possible to configure one JEMH profile to handle different settings for different projects?

One profile should be more efficient than multiple ones.

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2013

The Profile contains many configuration parameters, the Project Mappings apply customizations to the issue creation but only with a specific set of parameters. Its not possible currently to conditionally do other things.

I have some ideas recently about custom 'scripting' support within Project Mappings for custom logic, its likely this will only be inra JIRA6+ releases

In any case, I've just created https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/browse/JEMH-1326 Please supply a list of the specific configuration fields that are only available at the Profile level and you would like to see at the Project Mapping level.

Simon Gao April 19, 2013

I can't log into https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/browse/JEMH-1326 because of the veritication code. I've tried a dozen times. None of them worked for me. I will add the list here:

1. Options for quote strip based on projects

2. Options for sending custom email notification based on projects

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 19, 2013

Hey Simon, just resest your password? I've copied those points over.

Simon Gao April 19, 2013

Yes. Because I coult not log in. So I re-set my password. But the new password still did not work. I will try later.

Simon Gao April 19, 2013

By the way, JEMH 1.3.17 and JIRA 5.2.9 works much better. No more huge audit files any more. Performance improvement is significant. Waiting to get automatically purging non-processible emails feature.

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 19, 2013

Good to know things are working more to your liking. You already have the capability to allow purging of unprocessed emails, just deselect Retain Failures?

Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2013

Have you beenable to login yet? Id want to help get that fixed if not?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events