No Attachments when Sending Custom Email

PhillW March 22, 2013

Hi - hoping someone can help...

I have Jira 5.2.8 installed with Scriptrunner 2.1-beta10.

I'm trying to configure Jira to use as a helpdesk amongst other things. All our support is done by a third party and so I want to be able to use a listener or workflow post function to send a custom email with the attachments included.

I have configured both as a workflow post function and then as an "issue created" listener and both times the attachments are missing.

• When I create the ticket within Jira, the attachments are included on the notification email
  • When I email the ticket, the notification is sent but the attachments are not included
  • I have tried to auto transition and then set the custom email to use the next workflow step but still no attachment
  • When I add an "issue update" listener, email a comment - I DO get the attachments emailed back to me - so I know the system can do it!
  • When I add a statement for attachments >=1, the email does not arrive - so on create issue (when created via email), it doesn't find any attachments - though checking the issue within Jira, the attachments are there.

The strange thing is when I create within Jira it works every time - to be clear, I always do get the email, just when it is using "issue created", I don't get attachments. Again though, on issue updated, I do get the attachments when comments are created from an email.

I've switched on debugging for external emails but there doesn't seem to be anything relevant.

No idea what to do - please help!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2013

What's the value of the radio button field called "Include attachments" ?

> When I add a statement for attachments >=1

That's not a valid groovy expression, well, it will result in a compile error which will be in your logs, so remove that. You can check these things out using the Condition Tester in admin -> built-in scripts.

Your bullet points are confusing me... just stick with post-functions or listeners, depending on which you actually need, and then can you restate what doesn't work but needs to?

PhillW March 22, 2013

Hi, Sorry, I'll try again...

I have setup a built in script listener with the following parameters:

• Event: Issue Created
  • Include Attachments: All
  • No script conditions (evaluates to true)

When I email an issue to Jira, the issue is created and the script listener is triggered however no attachments are included in the custom email.

When I check the issue, the attachment is included in the issue.

If I create the issue directly in Jira (instead of emailing to create an issue), the email is received and includes the attachments.

To trouble shoot, I tried the same configuration as above but as a post-function instead of a listener. Same result - email received with no attachments.

If I setup the same listener but with event: Issue updated, when I update the issue via email, I receive the email and it includes the attachments.

In summary: I create a listener, I send an email to create the issue, I receive the email with no attachments.

If I create the issue in the jira interface, I receive the email with attachments.

If I update the issue via email, I do receive an email with the attachments.

So the problem is that when createing a new issue via email, I recieve the email but without the attachments.

Sorry if that confuses - trying to explain as best I can!

PhillW March 25, 2013

Hi - can anyone help with this?

Many thanks in advance :)

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2013

Sounds like the handler is adding the attachments after the listeners have run but seems a bit unlikely.

You could create an issue at https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/browse/GRV pointing to this question, but to be honest I'm unlikely to investigate for a long time.

What is the email handler you are using?

PhillW March 25, 2013

Hi Jamie

That seems the only logical conclusion - I tried to delay the script running by doing an auto transition to the next workflow step, but again, no attachments sent back with the email notification.

Is there any way of adding say a one minute delay to the email script so that it definitely gets processed after the attachment is stored?

I'm using the standard Jira Create Issue / Add Comment handler for inbound email. Outbound gets handled by the default SMTP handler.

0 votes
Juan Felipe Cardona
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2013

Hello

We had a similar problem when creating an issue from email with attachments - the issues was created but with no attachment. At the end it was because we had set an issue security rule on the project, and the user that was sending the mail was not included in that rule.

Everything worked fine after adding the user role to the issue security rule.

I hope that this helps you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events