Need to publish a persistant Stash banner

Andy Ukasick August 29, 2014

We have a 5000 user license for the "Announcer for Stash" plugin but the problem is that it has much too narrow a range of use cases. For example, we don't have any way to create a banner that just stays there. For example, we want to put up a welcome banner that also contains jira issue collectors so that our stash users can submit feedback to us, support tickets, bugs, etc right in stash. Because announcer supports html I could actually do that but the problem is that the big old "Acknowledge" button is there and if they click it the banner is gone forever. It seems like it would be a simple matter to give us an option to make a banner permanent by basically hiding the acknowledge button.

1) We need an option to publish a banner that doesn't have a button to dismiss it (it's permanent)
2) We'd an option to publish a banner that doesn't have the little yellow alert icon on the left; its annoying
3) We'd like an option to publish a banner that can be dismissed by the user but which will come back the next time they visit the site.

Is there any way to do this? is it in the pipeline at least??

BTW, we plan to more than double our Stash capacity in the coming year. I'd also like to know if Annoucer will be compatible with the coming Data Center Edition of Stash?

2 answers

0 votes
Svante Gustafsson November 21, 2014

Just realized that adding this piece of html will hide the Dismiss button:

<div class="aui-message aui-message-success" width="100%" align="center"><strong><font color=green><font size="3">This is the Staging Stash instance. Do NOT use for production purposes.<br>No emails are sent out from this instance!</font></font></strong></div>

I don't now why, but it wont show smile 

Unfortunately it adds another "panel" to the banner but I guess this may be "configured away"

0 votes
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2014

#1. We've gotten this request a couple of times in passing. It is something we're definietvley looking into. The question we want to figure out is if we need to make it more passive (ie. top of the page is very intrusive and can cause "banner blindness" at which point people might ignore any other banner announcenets ). https://wittified.atlassian.net/browse/ANNOUNCE-52

#2 We have been pondering it on our off the books pipeline... I've created https://wittified.atlassian.net/browse/ANNOUNCE-129to track it. Ideally we'd like to expose a lot more of different options.

#3 That's a new one :) https://wittified.atlassian.net/browse/ANNOUNCE-130. I've got a couple of questions about it, but I'll filed it there.

As far as Data Center edition - we're aiming to support it. Announcer 2.1 will be close. Unless the Stash developers do something really strange we should be supporting it by the time it gets released.

Andy Ukasick September 1, 2014

Glad to hear about data center support!

I listed 1, 2 and 3 in priority order for us. If the announcement banners support html (as they have) I'd think we could make banners that need to stand out, do so with colors, icons and other means. The answer in my mind is to provide options. In one case we'd like to provide a permanent banner with a welcome message and jira issue collectors for users to submit feedback, support requests, etc. They can zone out over it once they've looked at it, but it needs to be there so that they can use the issue collectors when needed. We'd probably want that banner to have no icon and give it a background color to match the stash theme.

In the case where you want to make an annoucement that you just need users to see and then they can dismiss it, what you have italready is fine. It would stand out with the icon, the Acknowledge button, potentially a different background color and anything we'd want to do with text. I don't see any problem catching users eyes. Worst case we'd make it big, maybe embed a graphic so it eats up a lot of the screen and they have to read and Acknowlegde it to get rid of it. In any case, they key is to have some options in terms of how things are displayed.

Item #3 above would be useful in the case where we want the issue collectors to be displayed to users whenever they connect, but we also want to give them the option to dismiss them for the session so that they can have more screen space if desired. Collapsing the banner could be another option, but regardless we'd want it to remain available to users somehow for when they need to use what the banner is exposing.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events