Multi Check Box custom field with user picker option

Kiron
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2012

I am trying to write a multi check box custom field whose values and label comes from user picker. This field will be like a approvers field where each user will login and approve. I would like to disable all other check boxes except the one with value as the logged in user. Any ideas as to how I can approach on this.

Please let me know if there are any other ways that I can do this.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2012

Kiron,

We have a page which talks about a similar usecase, does this help?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=180532

Kiron
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2012

Renjith,

Thanks and I looked into it. But now I got it to make it work with Approve transition and then adding conditions and post function to work the way I want it. I am planning to write a AdminOnlyEditableMultiUserPicker Custom field for the Approvers field where the project admin will go and set the approvers.

Now I want a Configuration screen on project admin section to add a list of approvers on a project basis. Then my custom field will look onto this screen and get the approvers.

My question is how can I build that config screen where a project admin can add approvers?

0 votes
Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2012

I don't exactly understand how you want to populate the list. If you're planning on using a multi user picker, it would be easier IMHO to create two of them (let's say Pending Approval and Approved) and then create a postfunction (or some sort of action) that will move the current user from pending to approved.

If you are willing to purchase a commercial plugin for this, there is Blitz Actions (still pending for approval on the marketplace) that you can use to do just that.

Kiron
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2012

Ok..here is more description on this. I need to create a field where users will login and then and some how show that they approve the work. If there are 5 approvers assigned to the task..then each user will login and checks that they approve. When all the 5 approvers checks then only the state will be transitoned.

I just gave an example like multi check box...please let me know as to how I can approach on this. We are not looking for a plugin to purchase at this time but to develop in house.

As you mentioned these changes will be triggered on edit submit not on state transition and so post function may not be valid?

Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 6, 2012

You can create transitions to the same state which can be executed without advancing the issue through the workflow.

Since you're not giving the user much of a choice, it would be better, IMHO, to give him a button to click if he approves rather than requiring him to edit the issue. Doing this on a transition also means that the user does not require the Edit Issues permission which can prove to be more flexible.

Anyway, if you decide to go with a custom field, this tutorial will get you started on writing the code and this one will give you an overview on workflow functions.

Happy coding!

Kiron
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2012

Thank you! your idea of adding a transition to create an approve button worked. Is there any other way of adding a button to JIRA issue without modifying a transition?

Also I am creating a project admin editable multi user picker custom field and I want the default values to come from some screen that I will be creating on Project admin screen? Is it doable and if so is there a way?

Thanks for your help.

Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2012

You can add Web Items both on the view issue page and in the admin section. Take a look at this for a list of available locations and examples.

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Web+Fragments

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events