Misleading PQ error message

Jambit Sysadmin May 18, 2016

Hi,

We just had a problem with network connectivity between Confluence and DB server, the PQ Admin DB connection check says [Network error IOException: No route to host], but the queries show

PocketQuery experienced an error!

There were errors executing this statement. Please check whether the following parameters are given: [static_username, projekt_nr]. If the parameters are correct, something must be wrong with the query or the database connection. For inspection, please use the debug mode in the macro or contact your administrator.

So all the users are asking me as the one responsible for the queries what happened J

Would it be possible to show a more informative error in the query results?

1 answer

0 votes
Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2016

Hi,

Thank you for your request and continued interest in PocketQuery! Unfortunately I have to tell you that this is currently not possible. More technically, the root cause of this error is a java.sql.SQLException when the query is executed with org.springframework.jdbc.core.namedparam.NamedParameterJdbcTemplate.queryForList. This SQLException can be of many many different kind which we didn't want to handle specifically. Otherwise we'd have to implement something like "if the sql exception is of this kind, show this error...". And we don't want to show the exception message to "simple" Confluence users because it is too technical. That's why we wrote "something must be wrong with the query or the database connection if the parameters are given". I think in your case it's totally OK that they contact you because you seem to be the responsible for PocketQuery and you already found out that it has to do with the database connection. So in my opinion it's totally ok as it went in your case...

But in general I'm always open to ideas for improvement wink

Regards, Felix (Scandio)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events