Manipulating issue Status in response to ZenDesk ticket update using pure ZenDesk integration functionality

Hello,

Could anybody kindly tell me whether it's possible to manipulate JIRA issue's Status (execute a transition from one workflow state to another) in response to a custom ZenDesk field being set to a particular value, using only functionality provided by ZenDesk integration or by other plugin available in OnDemand hosting (i.e. without having to resort to writing a Jelly script or a custom code utilising one of JIRA APIs)?

ZenDesk integration plugin refuses to accept a 'write-to' mapping of the Status field on account of it being read-only.

Based on what I've read so far I'm guessing that the answer is no, but I'd like to hear a definite confirmation from someone more knowledgeable.

Regards,

Rafal

2 answers

1 accepted

Hopefully this will help those who also happen to be pondering this question: I have now received confirmation from Zendesk support that updating JIRA Issue Status is not possible using only functionality provided by connector plugin.

The solution I had to resort to was:

• have a hidden custom field in JIRA, mapped to a field in Zendesk via 'JIRA Inbound' mapping,
  • have a custom service in JIRA (Jelly Script in my case), periodically polling the state of this field; when it detects that the field was updated with a particular value, it executes selected transition.

Version of Zendesk for JIRA plugin where this limitation was observed (latest available at the moment of writing) is 2.2.2.

In case you're thinking 'why not use event listeners' - see my other question: Issue Updated event not generated on update coming from Zendesk.

Hi, would it be possible to share this script you made? Thanks.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Tuesday in Marketplace Apps

If you’re an Atlassian app developer, you’ll want to know about Atlas Camp!

This September 6-7, hundreds of Atlassian App developers will flock to Barcelona Spain to build skills, discover product roadmaps, meet face-to-face with the Atlassian team, and learn how to extend t...

134 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you