Manipulating issue Status in response to ZenDesk ticket update using pure ZenDesk integration functionality

Luke Garner August 19, 2012

Hello,

Could anybody kindly tell me whether it's possible to manipulate JIRA issue's Status (execute a transition from one workflow state to another) in response to a custom ZenDesk field being set to a particular value, using only functionality provided by ZenDesk integration or by other plugin available in OnDemand hosting (i.e. without having to resort to writing a Jelly script or a custom code utilising one of JIRA APIs)?

ZenDesk integration plugin refuses to accept a 'write-to' mapping of the Status field on account of it being read-only.

Based on what I've read so far I'm guessing that the answer is no, but I'd like to hear a definite confirmation from someone more knowledgeable.

Regards,

Rafal

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Luke Garner September 3, 2012

Hopefully this will help those who also happen to be pondering this question: I have now received confirmation from Zendesk support that updating JIRA Issue Status is not possible using only functionality provided by connector plugin.

The solution I had to resort to was:

• have a hidden custom field in JIRA, mapped to a field in Zendesk via 'JIRA Inbound' mapping,
  • have a custom service in JIRA (Jelly Script in my case), periodically polling the state of this field; when it detects that the field was updated with a particular value, it executes selected transition.

Version of Zendesk for JIRA plugin where this limitation was observed (latest available at the moment of writing) is 2.2.2.

In case you're thinking 'why not use event listeners' - see my other question: Issue Updated event not generated on update coming from Zendesk.

1 vote
francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 25, 2019

Did you consider one of the issue synchronisation solutions - check query here?

One of these apps - Exalate - allows synchronizing between Jira and Zendesk (but also Jira, Github, ServiceNow, HP QC and more to come).  It provides a number of capabilities such as

* Multiple bidirectional connections
You can link a single Zendesk instance with multiple other instances (Jira (all deployment models), ServiceNow, Github, ... and more to come), or link a single Jira with multiple Zendesk instances (or any permutation you can imagine)

* Completeness
Whenever you exalate an issue to Jira, you can send over the complete ticket history (all comments, descriptions ...).  And comments are copied over as if they have been created locally.  Status synchronisation is possible also on Jira Server

* No dependencies between the different instances
The target project is selected on the Jira side.  Whenever you need to make a change in your Jira configuration - you can do it without affecting the synchronisation agreements.

Let us know if you would like to see it in action - we're here to demo the capabilities of Exalate  and to discuss your requirements - just select a convenient timeslot here

0 votes
idserda November 28, 2014

Hi, would it be possible to share this script you made? Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events