Mailhandler NAC

tzoosysadmin February 18, 2016

When replying to an email to approve/reject a ticket, the body of the email need to stripped down to only contains @APPROVED<In Progress>@.  Is it possible to change this so that it will accept the replying email with signatures and other information in it?

1 answer

0 votes
Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2016

Hello,
the approval reply via email doesn't follow the convention you are mentioning.
Maybe there is a confusion between the approval via comment (NAC) and the approval via email.

The Nac was introduced to meet the requests of some customers needing to approve/reject via the Customer Portal and not via email. In this scenario, it is expected that the comments added to approve/reject the ticket include the worflow transition.

The approval reply via email does not require you specify the workflow transition.
It is expected that the approval reply via email follows the convention below:

The approver can APPROVE/REJECT just replying to the received email by adding the following tags:

• @APPROVED : to approve the related issue
  • @REJECTED : to reject the related issue

Moreover what you add after the previous tag is considered as an approval/rejection comment.
It's required that you always apply the tag @ to end your reply.

The screenshot below provides an example:

EmailReply.jpg

Concluding, the email reply can include additional texts (the approval comment added to the email body will be displayed on the issue Comment tab and/or in the Approval History tab).

Best regards,

Antonella

tzoosysadmin February 19, 2016

Hello Antonella,

I created a ticket and received an email that contains the statement below. So I replied to the email with @APPROVED along with my email signature.  The comment section on the ticket was populated with the email i sent but it didn't changed the approval status to approved.  Is there any settings that I may have missed?

"Approve or Reject by replying to the received email and writing in the email's body @APPROVED or @REJECTED . Optionally, add a comment on a single or on multiple lines. Always apply the tag @ to end your reply."

Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2016

Page https://chicago.herzum.com/confluence/display/HAP/HAP+-+Mail+System+Configuration illustrates the expected Mail System Configuration.

Can you please confirm that you have chosen the "Approval Mail Handler" as Handler Type?

tzoosysadmin February 22, 2016

Below is my "Approval Plugin Mail Handler" setup.  My JIRA version is v6.4.12.

Handler Name / Type = Approval Plugin Mail Handler

Server = <our Mail server>

Project = <blank>

Issue Type = <blank>

Properties = Unknown

Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 22, 2016

Could you please let me have a screenshot of the comment added to the issue?

E.g.

APPROVED.PNG

tzoosysadmin February 22, 2016

image2016-2-22 8:17:43.png

Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 22, 2016

Could you please let me have a screenshot of the incoming mail setting?

E.g.

MailHandlers.PNG

I suspect that other mail handlers don' t allow the Approval Mail Handler working properly.

tzoosysadmin February 24, 2016

Sorry for the delay.  Here is the screenshot.

screenshot.jpg

tzoosysadmin February 24, 2016

I figured out the problem and it concerns the existing email account set in my JIRA(jira@travelzoo.com).  After creating a unique email address (jira_approval@travelzoo.com) strictly for Approval purposes only, I now have a new problem I encountered.

Issue;

After creating an ticket, an email is sent out to request approval but the "From" address is still jira@travelzoo.com instead of jira_approval@travelzoo.com.  This causes the @APPROVED to fail.

Can you also tell me what is the purpose of "Forward Email" from mail handler settings?

image2016-2-24 18:6:37.png

tzoosysadmin February 25, 2016

I found the solutions to may latest issue.  I changed the email address from the my project's notification scheme.  Thank you for your help.

Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2016

Following, some recommendations respect to the email addresses used on your mail server setup and information regarding the Approval Request/Reply email handling.

I hope it helps.

Outgoing mail server set up

Recommended: 
the Username set on the mail server must differ by any Approver email address.

Incoming mail - POP / IMAP Mail Server set up

Recommended:
*the Username setup on the IMAP Mail Server must be the same Username set on the mail server SMTP Host.

• only one POP Mail Server exists associated to the specified username.
  • only the Approval Mail Handler is associated to the specified POP Mail Server.

Mail Handler setup

The Forward email address is not managed by the add-on jet also if it is required when configuring the Approval Mail Handler.

It is a bug we have already planned to fix in our next major release.
In JIRA it is used when a mail handler is unable to handle an email message by forwarding this email message to the email address specified in this field.

Approval request/reply email handling

Recommended: in order to allow the mail handler working properly, the emails incoming to the SMTP Host email address must not be open because the mail handler is able to handle the new (still not read) incoming email exclusively.

Further Notice

• the "From" address on the Approval Request email arriving to every approvers is the Username setup on your outgoing mail server SMTP Host.
  • when the approver replies to the email by following the expected convention (e.g. @Approved my optional comments @), the email turn back to the "From" address; the Mail handler intercepts incoming emails and, if the email address of the approver belongs to a JIRA user enabled to approve/reject the specific approval item, changes the status of the Approval item in APPROVED or REJECTED.
tzoosysadmin February 25, 2016

Thank you for responding.  Do you know when this bug will be fixed? Is there any workaround while waiting for the fix?  This is bug will actually have a major affect in my JIRA environment.

Mail Handler setup

The Forward email address is not managed by the add-on jet also if it is required when configuring the Approval Mail Handler.

It is a bug we have already planned to fix in our next major release.
In JIRA it is used when a mail handler is unable to handle an email message by forwarding this email message to the email address specified in this field.

tzoosysadmin March 1, 2016

hello, do you have any new update with regards to the Forward Email bug?  Thank you.

Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2016

Unfortunately, I don't have an estimate.

It will be fixed close to v. 4.0 release that is currently under planning and design.

Best Regards

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events