Long-term viability of PocketQuery (commercial)?

Jeff Turner January 28, 2016

Hi,

PocketQuery looks fantastic, but I'm concerned that Scandio will lose interest and that it will stop being maintained, e.g. if the principal developer moves on. The SQL plugin is inferior in many ways, but at least I know Bob Swift/AppFire are making money off it, and so have an incentive to keep it alive.

Can someone from Scandio comment? Will PocketQuery still be around in 5 years time?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2016

Hi Jeff,

Interesting question. I'd state here that there aren't any plans to make PocketQuery commercial and we would like to push onwards the "free character" of the add-on. We at Scandio have been maintaining the add-on for more than 3 years now and we will definitely do so for the next years. Regarding your topic "principal developer": I'd consider this myself and I could say for sure that there are many other very capable Confluence developers here at Scandio who could maintain and improve PocketQuery just the same. Which doesn't mean I'm planning to move.... I must honestly say, however, that you never really know what will be in five years time - no matter if the add-on is free or commercial.

Is this sufficient for you?

Regards, Felix (Scandio)

Jeff Turner February 9, 2016

Thanks for the answer Felix. In that case I'd suggest Scandio consider either open-source Pocket Query, or take it commercial. Open source for preference, but either way would be good.

Consider: SQL for Confluence is the forth-most popular Confluence plugin (see my own analysis here), the second only to Gliffy in adding serious functionality. It's been around forever, and many companies, including Atlassian, have built extensive internal reports using it. As a consultant I consider it indispensable.

Pocket Query is in many ways, even better than SQL for Confluence, except for that one critical aspect of long-term viability.

Building a plugin is fun. Maintaining a plugin and dealing with bug reports for 2, 5, 10 years is not so fun. You/Scandio really ought to be getting paid for that, and it would make us users happier to know Scandio has some financial incentive to keep things going.

Or alternatively, open source, so that myself any developer (even you, post-Scandio) can take on maintenance as needed. I'd be happy to help with legwork such as setting up websites, bug trackers and mailing lists.

Regards,
Jeff

Jambit Sysadmin May 18, 2016

Seconded, we at jambit would be glad to contribute, since we're using PQ to integrate Confluence with our ERP.

Gabor

Jeff Turner January 18, 2017

I note that in January 2017, PocketQuery went commercial. Good luck! 

Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2017

Yes that's true! Thanks Jeff!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events