Logging non-billable hours

Alexandre Loiseau June 11, 2016

Hello,

I am wondering what is the recommended approach to log non-billable hours such as various interruptions, meetings, unexpected support tasks and what not? The goal is to have employees log all "worked hours" in a week but on the other hand, they do not always fit into JIRA project issues.

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2016

Hello Alexandre,

Personally we have separate internal projects for non-billable activities. Also you may create non-billable task in your current project or introduce "Non billable" issue type.

Non-billable projects, issues or issue-types can be easily excluded when viewing reporting or generating time-sheets. You can use Projects control or create appropriate filter and add it to favorites.

Alexandre Loiseau June 11, 2016

That's a good idea, thanks.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2016

I would start with a Non-billable option in a custom field Billing Type, and set it per issue

Like # people like this
0 votes
Elif Kiy January 23, 2018

Dear all, 

We created internal projects and a special "billing type field" for all customer projects. We can have both billable and non billable issues for the customer projects. However, still sometimes we would like to log less billable hours to the customer project issues. System performance can be bad or our employee could be inexperienced for the project and it can take longer than expected. I think it would be nice if we can log both billable and non-billable hours under the same issue because we would  like to follow both actual time spent and time to be billed for the issue.  

I will apreciate if you have any ideas. Thanks. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2018

The Tempo add-on would allow you to flag work logs with different fields, on the same issue.

Elif Kiy January 23, 2018

Great to know! Thanks Nic. I will check tempo add-on for details. 

Andreas Springer _Actonic_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2023

If you don't mind a bit of self-promotion, our Timesheet Builder app does the same with the added benefit of being able to hide work logs from unauthorized staff members, if you choose to do so: actonic.de/timesheets

Edit: Sorry, I just now realized how old this topic is. No necroposting intended!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events