Log-Entries in atlassian-confluence.log

Roman Joss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2015

We get many Messages in the atlassian-confluence.log-File like:

2015-11-16 11:39:27,584 WARN [confluence.plugins.metadata.PageUpdateListener] Metadata values will be remove if metadata macros are removed from page's Content

What does this mean and how can i resolve this? Unfortunaletly there are no Information concerning the page. I also could not find any pages with any Problems with this macro's.

Thanks for your help.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Adrien Ragot 2
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2015

I don't know what it exactly means but I can at least provide a rewording. Quick expanation: The message is harmless and the developer could probably log it as INFO instead of WARN.

Pages are stored in XML. There is a small metadata storage (Content Property) in addition to this XML which plugins are allowed to use, mostly for optimization purpose. For example a plugin which counts the number of page views could store it in the page metadata. This way, it doesn't need to change the contents of the page itself and it doesn't create a version in the history. Besides, Confluence provides extra features to such plugins to lookup pages with such metadata and quickly perform operations.

In the current situation, this warning seems logged by your BSD plugin ("org.andya.confluence.plugins.metadata.PageUpdateListener"). Since its license allows the decompilation of the plugin, I was able to access the code and it seems the macros actually use the page's metadata storage to cache some data.

Some code of the plugin is triggered when you delete or trash a page, to remove the metadata introduced by the macro.

If this warning annoys you, you can mute it by going to Loggins & Profiling in the Confluence administration, entering the package name of the plugin ("org.andya.confluence.plugins.metadata") and setting its debug level to ERROR.

Morale of the story: BSD is love, BSD is life, BSD gets you helped.

Roman Joss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 16, 2015

Wow, that is a detailed and transparent description, thank you very much.

It's very reassuring. I'v changed the errorlog as you recommended. I will this also update in the Log-configuration, that this is also remembred on restart of confluence.

Thank you again for your help.

Regards,

Roman

Adrien Ragot 2
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 16, 2015

I was just curious how other plugins are developped, actually, it was fun ;)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events