Lead and Cycle Time in eazyBI

Nuria Llobera Vila December 29, 2017

Hi,

I am trying to calculate the Cycle time in eazyBI. I first tried using Transtion in rows and selecting the transitions from the project. In my case:

- Backlog = > Selected for Development
- Selected for Development => In Progress
- In Progress => Test
- Test => Done

In Columns I used Average workdays in transition status. I got as an average aroung 2 workdays. See image

123.png

This results are not very realistic for my team, so I did a bit more research and I found this article were it is shown how to calculate it in eazyBI:

https://mraddon.blog/2017/10/07/how-to-calculate-lead-time-or-real-average-resolution-days-with-eazybi-and-jira/

I followed all the steps and this gives me a Cycle Time average of 13 days. See image below:

456.png

But if I check in JIRA Reports (Control chart), it calculates 1w 2d of average (workdays).

temp3.PNG

How can I reproduce the results from JIRA in EazyBI? Why are the results so different?

Thank you

Nuria

2 answers

0 votes
Tiago Santiago May 27, 2019

Hi guys,

Could you please share your definitions ?

I'm trying to replace control chart from jira, with something in eazyBI like this:

1) cycle time over time

2) breakdown in sub-groups

Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 5, 2019

Hi@Tiago Santiago

You can get the Cycle and Lead Time with app Time Between Statuses.
Also, there is the ability to set time limits and get the visual colour tagging on the issues where the limits have been exceeded.

Holp it helps

0 votes
Janis Plume _eazyBI_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2018

Hi,

For the cycle time calculations, we suggest the approach described in the blog article you mention. However, the calculation mentioned there relays on the Issues resolved measure which is used as the count to calculate the average of the cycle time.

Although I would not claim to reproduce the way how Jira control chart works entirely, it seems that Jira control chart includes in the calculation of the cycle time all the issues which had any of the statuses mentioned in the status list of the report. The indication of this could be the amount of the issues included in the calculation from your example (Issues resolved: 122, control chart: 142), provided you have defined the same scope of the issues for both reports.

There are default measures in eazyBI "Average days in transition status" and "Average workdays in transition status" giving the number of days issues spent in the transition statuses which seems similar to what Jira control chart provides.

I did a couple of experiments and also found that Average days in transition status in eazyBI works differently from the control chart calculation. When an issue had several completed cycles, eazyBI calculates the average per completed cycle, while the control chart gives the average per issue. I redefined the average measure to be more like that in the Jira by the formula:

CASE WHEN [Measures].[Transitions from status issues count] > 0 THEN
[Measures].[Workdays in transition status] /
[Measures].[Transitions from status issues count]
END

Now when I combine the measure in the report with the status of the Transition status dimension, the average seems very much like that in the control chart. Just a final remark: double check if your issue scope in eazyBI report corresponds to that of the control chart.

Best regards,

Janis, EazyBI support

J.M. March 8, 2018

Is there a way to tweak this to find Average Issue count In Progress per week?

Janis Plume _eazyBI_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2018

Hi John-Michel,

The average counts of the issues should be created with the custom measures and using the "Avg" aggregator. For instance, the calculation like this:

Avg(
[Time.Weekly].[Week].Members,
([Measures].[Issues history],
[Transition status].[In Progress])
)

The report could be following:

Weekly average.png

Kindly,

Janis, eazyBI support

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders