Joggler time entry into Toggl tasks?

Sam Howard March 3, 2015

Hello,

We are trying out the Joggler plugin and our Toggl account is setup as a Pro account with Tasks within Projects possible.  Is there any way to get the time entries to correlate Issue(JIRA) -> Task(Toggl)?

That would let us track our time against individual issues much easier.

Also, I have not yet seen the green information box with the Toggl information as shown in the plugin's screenshot.  Are we doing something wrong, or does that no longer exist?

Thanks,

Sam

3 answers

0 votes
Deleted user March 4, 2015

Hi Sam

Not sure if a can follow you fully. But with the toggl detailed time report you can query:

• The time spent for each project in a given time frame
  • The time spent for each individual in a given time frame
  • The time spent for each time entry in a given time frame
  • The time spent on an JIRA issue

The retrieve the value for the last point you can either open the issue in JIRA and see the time spent or you can filter for the JIRA issue key to fetch all time entries containing the key in the description.

What we do to generate invoices is to export the time entries to excel and then let our excel wizards do there magic.

Regards

Benno

See for example time spent on issue CARBO-321:

Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 14.15.33.png

0 votes
Sam Howard March 3, 2015

I may have to spend a bit more time to make an intelligible answer, but in a nutshell, we use JIRA primarily for trouble ticketing / helpdesk functions.

We have Customer:Support_Function broken into JIRA Projects like:

CustABC: Operations - Backups

CustABC: Operations - Security

CustABC: Operations - Network

CustCDE: Operations - Backups

(etc)

And some other projects for internal use like Finance, Legal, etc.

Inside each project, we create issues for the actual alerts and tasks (task, bug, feature, etc).

Multiple engineers could be putting time against each issue and we need to be able to track individual time (payroll) and individual issue (which we want to map into Toggl Project->Task) for detailed billing required by some of our customers.

As the plugin currently works, our Toggl report will just give a lump sum of time for each project (we tried creating a 1:1 project in both JIRA and Toggl and mapping them through the API configuration) under "without task".  We can get lump engineer time per project, which is OK, but we loose the visibility to do granular reporting in Toggl within each project (lack of the task support).

Prior to JIRA, we used another platform (coughSalesForcecough) and I manually created the Projects and Tasks to roughly map back to the customer and ticket# in SF.  This plugin has the potential to significantly simplify that process for me!

As it is, it appears you are using the issue summary as the Toggl time entry text ... creating and placing the time entry against a Task in the same project shouldn't be that hard (with a flag to enable this behavior, of course).  What you'd put as the text for the time entry ... not sure how you would query that, but it would be nice for the text to end up in the JIRA Work Log entry...  smile  (sorry, getting greedy).

Hope this gives a decent idea of the use case we are envisioning.

Thanks!

0 votes
Deleted user March 3, 2015

Hi Sam

Joggler "only" supports toggls time track facilities and does not support Tasks. I'm interested in knowing more about your use case: why do you use both, JIRA and Toggl Tasks?

Are you referring to the 'You are tracking time for' in the screenshot? This is from the old Toggl version. I guess we should update the screenshot.

Regards

Benno

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events