Jira Client and "There was a problem loading the descriptor for module 'null' in plugin 'JIRA Client'."

I'm trying to get Jira Client running on 4.3.4 (though I'll probably be reverting to 4.3.2 -- I haven't yet tested JC on 4.3.2).

Here's the log entry:

2012-07-09 21:25:55,586 main ERROR [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] There was an error loading the descriptor 'null' of plugin 'com.almworks.jira.plugin.jiraclient'. Disabling.

com.atlassian.plugin.PluginParseException: Could not load class: com.atlassian.upm.license.storage.lib.ThirdPartyPluginLicenseStorageManagerImpl

at com.atlassian.plugin.module.LegacyModuleFactory.getModuleClass(LegacyModuleFactory.java:46)

(atlassian-jira_Clean.log)

6 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Thanks, Tom! This looks very strange. For one, the class that is missing should be present inside the plugin JAR. I suspect that the JAR file that you downloaded was broken. Please check that the file

C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA\plugins\installed-plugins\plugin_4976340462074548723_jiraclient-plugin-3.0.0.jar

has size equal to 627045 bytes. Alternatively, you can check that its MD5 hash is 8f160562c684cba951be42ba357d940f.

To view MD5 hash sum of a file on Windows, you can use Powershell, a built-in Windows shell scripting tool, to run the following script:

$stream = new-object io.filestream "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA\plugins\installed-plugins\plugin_4976340462074548723_jiraclient-plugin-3.0.0.jar",Open; try { -join ([security.cryptography.MD5]::Create().ComputeHash($stream) |% {$_.ToString("x2")}) } finally { if($stream) { $stream.close() } }

Alternatively, you can download a free program like MD5Sums .

If either size or MD5 is different, please re-download the file (you can use direct download link) and check the size and MD5 again. If they match, please reinstall the plugin.

That was it! Thank you!!

Tom, there should be more information in the logs right below the entry that you posted, something like "caused by..." — could you add it?

Sorry, Tom, but it's still hard to figure out what's happening judging by the added messages. I was wondering if there was anything below the original stack trace — I would expect "caused by..." there.

Have you already tried disabling/enabling the JIRA Client plugin?

Its never come out of being disabled, and when I enable it I get these messages.

Above you can see what comes after 'null' descriptor... it's caused by the ThirdPartyPluginLicenseStorageManagerImpl class not being found:

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.atlassian.upm.license.storage.lib.ThirdPartyPluginLicenseStorageManagerImpl
at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1680)
at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1526)
at com.atlassian.plugin.util.ClassLoaderUtils.loadClass(ClassLoaderUtils.java:52)
at com.atlassian.plugin.impl.StaticPlugin.loadClass(StaticPlugin.java:21)
at com.atlassian.plugin.module.LegacyModuleFactory.getModuleClass(LegacyModuleFactory.java:27)

Tom, could you look a bit more down that same stack --- are there more "caused by" clauses? The chain of causes can be quite long...

I've edited the bug to attach the full log for your review!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 22, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

How a Marketplace app tech team is achieving gender diversity

Hello! My name is Genevieve Blanch, and I'm the Marketing Manager at RefinedWiki, creators of apps to give teams the tools to customize Atlassian platforms. Currently, 44% of the tech team at Re...

531 views 3 19
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you