JQL: Show all sub-tasks for unfinished tasks

Henning Groenda September 25, 2017

I want to see all sub-tasks for unfinished tasks or fnished tasks with unfinished sub-tasks. This allows seeing which parts have been completed and which haven't.

I expect the following JQL to return true for sub-tasks that have parents with unfinished sub-tasks:

type = Sub-task AND parent in parentsOf("status not in (Closed, Done, Resolved)")

However, the parent in parentsOf(...) clause does not seem to work. What's the trick?

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Jenna Davis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2017

Hello, 

This should work to get you the parents of any unresolved subtasks, which I think is what you're needing. 

issueFunction in parentsOf("status not in (Closed,Done,Resolved)")

If it's not working for you, let me know. :)

Jenna

Henning Groenda September 25, 2017

Hi Jenna,

your suggestion selects the parents themselves, not the sub-tasks. I want to see all the sub-tasks (finished and unfinished).

Can you guide my why the parent-comparison in my code is not working as expected?

Best regards,
Henning

Jenna Davis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2017

I think you may want to use the 'subtasksOf()' function then. 

parentsOf() is getting the parents of subtasks with a status that isn't Closed, Done, or Resolved. 

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your question. 

Jenna

Henning Groenda September 26, 2017

Thank you for your quick reply. I tried that one as well ;) subtasksOf(...) does only work if the parent task has a consistent state (finished only if all sub-tasks are finished). If there are unfinished tasks i wouldn't see them based on this function and it's just too easy to mask an error.

The function i am aiming for has one more level of indirection: Display all sub-task that belong to a task, which has unfinished tasks. I found no other theoretical way than via the subtask-parent-subtask relationship.

Jenna Davis
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 27, 2017

I see, I wasn't understanding the issue completely. In that case, you should be able to stack subtasksOf() and parentsOf() and get what you're needing.

Please try this and let me know if it catches all you're needing, it should return all subtasks if one subtask of the parent is unresolved. 

issueFunction in subtasksOf("issueFunction in parentsOf('status not in (Closed, Done, Resolved)')")  

Jenna

Sam Allen August 8, 2018

Perfect, just what I needed. Thanks Jenna

Jeana Montesdeoca February 2, 2021

This filter is exactly what I needed! Thank you!!!

sanjay_sapra April 12, 2021

Team i have run above query in jira core but showing below error .

Field 'issueFunction' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it.

I want to see all subtask which are in different status for parent having closed/completederror.JPG

sanjay_sapra April 14, 2021

Hi Team , any body help me on above query.

Kevin August 21, 2023

Perfect!! exactly what I needed.

Thanks @Jenna Davis 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events