Issues leaving a review

Kristin Bitler January 27, 2016

Can't leave a review through the JIRA Marketplace so I'm placing this here in the hope that Atlassian knows the poor support of one of its vendors, Mail.Ru: 

Multiple emails to company for support (misspelled address on their site btw) without a single response, calendar doesn't sync with other calendars as advertised, zero sidebar manageability. Had to do a workaround on each computer to view the calendars for export. Many hours of wasted time.

1 answer

0 votes
Andrey Molchanov January 28, 2016

Kristin,

First of all, I am deeply sad that you had that negative experience with the Calendar. If it's still possible to help out, I commented the issues.

1. We haven't received any e-mails, what was the address you sent messages to? BTW, I recommend use issue system here:https://github.com/mailru/jira-plugins-mailrucal/issues

2-3. I suppose, you mean editing JIRA issues from external calendar applications? It needs CalDAV server and we don't support the feature. However you still can view JIRA issues on your external application using iCal subscription.

4. We published a new release about a month ago, the problem was covered - each user now can manage the list.

Please contact us using Atlassian Answers or GitHub Issues for any further information.

Thank you!

Kristin Bitler January 28, 2016

Thank you for your response Andrey,

1. I used the support@corp.mail.ru link on your website (actually, it was supprot@...but it bounced)
  2. We don't edit JIRA issues from external calendars and I'd rather staff work within JIRA. We really only need it to see which staff are booked on any given day. 
  3. I've exported the .ics file to Google Calendar, iCal, Outlook Web Access (OWA) in both Mac platform browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox) and Windows platform browsers (Internet Explorer, Chrome) and the best I could get was that OWA could see the subscription on the sidebar but none of the items actually populate the calendar. I'm talking with our Lead Programmer and Network Admin today to discuss the possibility of our proxy somehow interfering.
  4. Good to know about user manageability in the upgrade 

If you have any other suggestions, that would be great. I'll keep you updated on the outcome.

I greatly appreciate your quick response to this so thank you,

Kristin

Andrey Molchanov February 1, 2016
  1. It is a wrong address. wink
  2. Then it should be available for you.
  3. It is really strange. May it be that some kind of firewall or network protection blocks you?

Kristin Bitler February 2, 2016

It's our authentication that blocks it and I imagine other companies have the same issue.

It worked when I

1. authenticated to and logged into JIRA 
  2. logged into our company email via the same browser as JIRA
  3. Copied the link into the URL 

If it were downloadable instead of having to be copied, the process would probably work efficiently. As it is, it just may not be the solution for us as it requires manual syncing to our Exchange calendar.

Please keep me posted to any changes that may make this a manageable workflow.

Thank you.

Andrey Molchanov February 2, 2016

Kristin,

Usually you don't need to be logged. Generated link contains your secret code and is used instead of JIRA authorization.

You should not download the file, just paste the link in order to make calendar auto-updated.

Could you please provide us with exact steps to reproduce the wrong behaviour?

What doesn't work: I tried all steps for Outlook, iCalendar, and Google Calendar that the mail.ru Export Calendar window links to for Outlook, iCal, Google. My guess is its the 2 factor authentication we use (against each web browser, as well) that's creating the failure.

Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 10.36.19 AM.png

What works: copy the link under your step 2, open our email via OWA in the same browser in which JIRA is open, paste the link in the browser, and launch the .ics file.

Actually, a shorter route is the highlight and right click the link and 'go to link name' and this will download the link in Chrome, which can then be opened and the local default email client will recognize it.

So there you have it, the best solution we could find with 2 factor auth.

Ivan Mashintsev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2016

Hi, Kristin.

Do you have authorization before JIRA Server?

Because this link provide non-auth access to JIRA for download ics file. Can you check it by opening in Chrome New Incognito Window and copy link in the address input. What does happen after that?

For using OWA to subscribe calendars, your Outlook Server needs access to JIRA Server (https://jira.montereycoe.org:8443/...).

Maybe we discuss this problem in Skype? My skype account - i.mashintsev

Kristin Bitler February 3, 2016

I do have full admin privileges but I think we're good now. I have verbal authorization to affect our security settings within JIRA/Confluence so I can't make any changes there and since it's our security settings that was affecting the sync, the workaround above is sufficient.

Thank you and I feel like this issue can be closed for our purposes.

Andrey Molchanov February 3, 2016

Kristin,

Please note that in case when you download the file anв then select it on your calendar application you won't be able to see updates on JIRA issues automatically before you update the file again.

We are interested also in this problem in order to make our other clients happy.

So if you are interested, we kindly ask you to discuss it at Skype (i.mashintsev).

In any case, thank you!

Kristin Bitler February 3, 2016

I spoke with our Lead Programmer and he and his staff are fully loaded with deadlines. What I'm going to do is ask that you send me an email kmarchio@monterey.k12.ca.us or my new email kbitler@monterey.k12.ca.us and when they get some time, maybe they'll look at the issue. It's my understanding that JIRA and the web calendar (whether iCloud, Google or OWA) need to be open in the same browser. 

I hope that helps you in the meantime - beyond that, I can't share any additional details about the types of security we use.

Thank you and please email me if you're interested in discussing this down the road.

Kristin

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events