Issue with Scripted Field Context

Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2015

I created a scripted field custom field with its context set to issue type X.

However, in the Issue Navigator I am able to see the scripted field for other issue types. Is this the expected result? Here is a screenshot:

SC1.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Solgat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2015

We have utilized something similar in our instances.  We actually approach it from both directions, first by putting the fields "scope" in the code (usually an "if" statement checking for project and/or issue type), and second by adding a field context.  I have had much better luck scoping the context to Projects rather than issue types. 

In your scenario, there is one other thing to check, and that is to see whether or not the global context still exists.  When we use the context to scope scripted fields down, I always remove/overwrite the global context so that only the scope context exists.  I have not actually checked in the search results like your screen-shot, but what I did do was do a before context/after context count of the number of references in the logs after a re-index.  Based on the numbers I saw, the context helped significantly and was scoping properly.

An additional note as to why we use both methods:  We have some rather large JIRA instances and noticed that even though we were scoping to a specific project/issue type within the code, the script is still executing (you can see this by adding a log statement before the scoping code) and during the re-index process causes a lot of unnecessary time and system resource usage.  By adding the field context (when properly configured), the script never executes for issues that didn't meet the context criteria.

Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 29, 2015

Thanks.

0 votes
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 24, 2015

If you want to use scripted field only for specified type you should to define it into code.

Because values for scripted fields are calculated at every reindexing.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events